New to Foiling

Foiling related talk in here
Mr Dropper
Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 1 time

New to Foiling

Post by Mr Dropper » Mon Jun 29, 2020 1:33 pm

Hi all,
I'm getting a Starboard Foil x 145 & super cruiser. It will be my first time on Wednesday in Poole Harbour.
Any tips welcome.
Thanks

PhilN
Has liked: 25 times
Been liked: 50 times

Re: New to Foiling

Post by PhilN » Mon Jun 29, 2020 3:43 pm

I dont think you could have picked a worse time for Poole Harbour and foiling for tides, the tide is low most of the day, unless you are going out after 4pm.

There is a good site here for looking at depths. The default depth is feet, so its not as deep as you might think if your usual measurements are
metres ;) The settings are in the box top left with 3 stripes.

http://fishing-app.gpsnauticalcharts.co ... 05/-1.9851

https://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/coast-and ... 2020-07-01
20200701 tide Poole.jpg
Evening Hill is popular for learning, but the eel grass is starting to grow and is bad enough for fins let alone foils. Marked in green, approx.
EH Eel grass.jpg
Baiter Park will also be a bit shallow for foiling. In the shallow area in front of the yatch club there are a few clumps of kelp type seaweed in a few areas which might catch a foil.

Hamworthy Park is shallow for quite a distance out. The regular foiler there now launches from Lake Pier as its less of a walk out, but in a wind shadow from Arne in a SW.
Poole spots and wind meter.jpg

PhilN
Has liked: 25 times
Been liked: 50 times

Post by PhilN » Mon Jun 29, 2020 3:59 pm

Hamworthy Park has a few rocks and rubbish which you have to be careful for windsurfing when the tide is 1m.
How long is your foil?
1 HP Low Tide Guide.jpg

The eel grass at Evening Hill isnt just the beds, it gets broken off and floats around that area and is a pain with upright fins. If you do foil there, you could sail around and pick it all up, that would be handy.

Mr Dropper

Post by Mr Dropper » Mon Jun 29, 2020 4:20 pm

PhilN, thanks for the info. I normally go from the slipway on Shore Rd, I'm hoping to get there early in the morning and then go again in the afternoon.
I think the mast length is 85cm. Its coming tomorrow, so I'm very keen to get out. :D

ronnie
Has liked: 73 times
Been liked: 91 times

Post by ronnie » Mon Jun 29, 2020 4:42 pm

Mr Dropper wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 1:33 pm
Hi all,
I'm getting a Starboard Foil x 145 & super cruiser. It will be my first time on Wednesday in Poole Harbour.
Any tips welcome.
Thanks
Good choice of gear.

I always look at a place I want to foil at low tide and take photos at various stages of the tide. It helps me know where to avoid and how much tide I need.

Sam Ross has a very good series of videos for learning to windfoil.
https://www.youtube.com/user/samrosswindsurfing/videos

I think for learning, a comfortable sail size is a sail that is just about big enough to waterstart with. That should be enough for you to be able to get the foil flying without having to get everything right. If you do crash, don't let go of the boom - that makes it less likely that you will come in contact with the tip of a foil wing.

When you do get foiling, I'd suggest starting off trying to fly low and learning to land the foil back on the surface. You have the advantage of gear that should be balanced because it was all designed to work together. By flying 6" to 1' above the water and putting the foil back down again, you avoid wasting a lot of time crashing and having to get going again.

Don't try to get the longest flight initially, just aim for low flights and controlled landings.
Use the front strap and move your rear foot to shift your weight to get a smooth, small lift off. Don't use the harness initially until you get a feel for how sensitive the board is to balance when it leaves the water.

Smidge
Has liked: 64 times
Been liked: 67 times

Post by Smidge » Mon Jun 29, 2020 6:12 pm

Be paranoid about water depth, as PhilN says. I have only foiled once in the harbour - my first time on new kit - not done it again! (not that I am there often, but when I am I foil in the sea). You need to be very aware of the water depth by knowing it like the back of your hand. Dont take any chances.

In terms of technique focus on the following:
1) Never let go of the boom
2) put weight onto back foot (that does NOT mean lean back) to leave the water
3) then INSTANTLY rebalance your weight equally between your legs to maintain level flight (visualise yourself trying to balance with one foot either side of a seesaw)
4) Hinge at the waist (so shoulders in board a bit (opposite to windsurfing) - to get weight pushing down on foil, not sideways)
5) straight back leg
6) look at the horizon, not the water
7) when a gust comes get your weight over front foot (lean head around the mast) DO NOT lean back and attack the fin like I would blasting on a fin!
8) Never let go of the boom

And watch Sam Ross's youtube Flight School

Smidge

Post by Smidge » Mon Jun 29, 2020 6:20 pm

And in terms of sail size, with a foil like that (good choice) for your first time, if its 12-15 kts I would take a 5.7 wave type sail rigged with almost no flop in the leach and zero outhaul. If its stronger, go smaller. And be prepared to pump it a bot. Better to be getting up intermittently and when you choose to on your first time, rather than being continuously out of control!

Smidge

Post by Smidge » Mon Jun 29, 2020 6:41 pm

Also, hardest thing about foiling is getting it all in and out of the water! Dont even think about carrying/dragging it in connected unless you are on a soft sandy beach.

I would take my rig into the water, submerge it, then fetch the board (standing forward of the foil with one hand on the fuselage and the other on a footstrap). Put it in the water upside down. Spend about 20 minutes trying to connect the UJ without pranging the foil wings into the ground whilst getting very frustrated. Wade out with board upside down and sail dragging through water until in really deep water. Make sure you arent going to drift too shallow whilst remembering how to uphaul.

When coming in just reverse all that, but as you walk into shallow water with your board upside down, there comes a point where your foil wings are getting closer and closer to the top of your head, but from above and outside of your peripheral vision - so be glad you got a supercruiser and not a GT - both hurt, but a supercruiser wont leave you needing stitches in your head!

(And practice rigging it all up at home first to get used to which screw goes where, maybe even practice carrying it around your lawn if you have one).

Good luck

Mr Dropper

Post by Mr Dropper » Mon Jun 29, 2020 6:50 pm

Thanks for the tips guys, it’s nice to have a bit of input from you guys. I’ve been watching the Sam Ross videos they’re very good. Sail size, I am taking 4.7, 5.3 & 6.2
Fingers crossed it all goes well and I have a massive grin afterwards 👍

Mr Dropper

Post by Mr Dropper » Mon Jun 29, 2020 6:51 pm

Also going to wear my hat. ⛑