Windfoil + wingfoil boards.

Foiling related talk in here
grantmac
Been liked: 11 times

Re: Windfoil + wingfoil boards.

Post by grantmac »

Winging beats the hell out of me even with a foil to reduce load, doing it with fins just seems asinine.

I could however get behind putting a foil track in a windsurf wave board in order to wing on the same board in lighter conditions. Winging needs a lot less volume and width than windfoiling.
The deck shape would probably be all wrong though. My experience winging with a windsurf board was the domed deck and thin rails made for exactly the wrong shape.
ronnie
Has liked: 109 times
Been liked: 116 times

Post by ronnie »

The 2021 Duotone Slick wing. It has a centre strut and mini-boom. Sizes from 2.5m to 7m.

Alan Cadiz with a Slick wing.

Unboxing the Slick wing with carbon boom.
Last edited by ronnie on Sat Apr 03, 2021 8:52 am, edited 2 times in total.
grantmac

Post by grantmac »

That's the best new wing design I've seen.

I predict some combination of inflatable strut with hard boom or very well tensioned soft handles will become the standard within a few years.
rod
Has liked: 343 times
Been liked: 214 times

Post by rod »

I use an ozone wasp (no boom) and i would not want a boom with extra weight and rigging time. Inflatable works fine.

Windsurfers who want to wing need to get off the nostalgia conveyor belt and into the present. boom-less wings will be gone by 2022.
James.blonde
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 42 times

Post by James.blonde »

I tend to agree with Rod on that. I have a handled wing and thought I'd prefer the Echo. Having used both I definitely prefer the handles andI think the newer wings are even more refined on position and numbers of handles. The most used wings for sail are the boomed echo by far as people move onto the Unit or similar
grantmac

Post by grantmac »

I have 2 Wasps and I've been experimenting with adding a mini boom. It's been a significant improvement especially in pumping effectiveness and balancing hand pressure. Weight difference is around 100g.

That's just with a front boom and not even attached that well.
Jeroensurf
Has liked: 43 times
Been liked: 87 times

Post by Jeroensurf »

I think the Echo has a lot of benefits,pumping is super effective, micro adjustments are easier as with straps, changing sides or turning as well, but My 4m Starboard/Airrush wing is soo much lighter and stable as the Echo 4m I owned for 2months that it makes at least surfing way easier.\
I,m not sure if that is just the boom and boomweight or the whole wing design.
To fid out more about wing design I spoiled myself with an Smik 5m wing :mrgreen: , and when it is above the 2degree of today I can borrow a Ensis wing that is known for its power as well to compare with my 6m echo.
ronnie
Has liked: 109 times
Been liked: 116 times

Post by ronnie »

2021 JP Australia X-Foil, can windfoil, wingfoil and SUPfoil. Sizes down to 5' 8"/100L
It seems to be similar to the SUP Foil boards, but shorter and with more bias toward winging of the 3 disciplines.
https://jp-australia.com/p/foil-boards/x-foil-f/

Last edited by ronnie on Thu Jan 21, 2021 10:39 am, edited 2 times in total.
Jeroensurf
Has liked: 43 times
Been liked: 87 times

Post by Jeroensurf »

Fanatic is coming with an inflatable wing only board for in case people want it even more compact as the boards already are.

Fanatic Sky Air Premium 5'4
? Volumen 103 Liter
? L?nge 5'4" / 163 cm
? Breite 26" / 66 cm

Fanatic Sky Air Premium 5'8:
? Volumen 120 Liter
? L?nge 5'8" / 173 cm
? Breite 28,25" / 71,8cm

Fanatic Sky Air Premium 5'10:
? Volumen 150 Liter
? L?nge 5'10" / 178 cm
? Breite 28,5" / 72,4 cm
Sailrepair
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 97 times

Post by Sailrepair »

STX are also bringing out a inflatable wing board, I have one on order. They are going to retail from just £509

JP's new inflatable freefoil (wind & wing) is coming out next month and I am getting one of those too.