Been liked: 116 times

Re: Windfoil + wingfoil boards.

Post by ronnie »

motogon
Has liked: 3 times

Post by motogon »

What you guys think of Fanatic Bee 7'8" board? 120l x 233 cm x 78 cm
From Fanatic website: "Our new Bee is the ultimate watersports-weapon. We’ve packed four different dimensions of pure fun into one board: SUP Surfing, SUP Foiling, Wing Foiling and Windsurf Foiling – you decide on the setup you ride."

Jeroensurf
Has liked: 43 times
Been liked: 87 times

Post by Jeroensurf »

I owned an Hoover7.6.
For Supfoil + Wingfoil too long, for windsurf foil fun, but shorter boards are more lively, for normall windsurf too rockered to get planing and for Sup rather small and good level needed (with my 95kg).
Sizewise the Bee looks the same and facing the same problems.
ronnie
Has liked: 109 times

Post by ronnie »

Monofoil winging. More lift, less drag, more efficiency, better low end, less weight. Less stable.

Another monofoil winger at 8:30 in this video.

He's not using a board leash in this, but because there are no waves, he can use the wing to get to the board.

Last edited by ronnie on Thu Feb 25, 2021 11:54 am, edited 4 times in total.
ronnie

Post by ronnie »

This guy has raised the issue of using different straps for wingfoiling.

https://kj4l.com/?p=396

I'm not convinced that that is the best solution. I've been looking at various options for a while now.
Alan Cadiz sometimes uses a Fanatic windsurf strap set to it's maximum length.

Olympic foilers use a Drake strap like the Unifiber Race.

Farnorthsurfer
Has liked: 73 times
Been liked: 34 times

Post by Farnorthsurfer »

Quick note to say I have joined the Wing crew with a 2020 Duotone Echo 5m wing. Tried it just after it was dropped off by the courier at a gusty onshore Ardersier on the Moray Firth. Using my 8' Starboard Hypernut and a Slingshot Infinity 84 with the 24" mast.
Was great, after messing about for 30 minutes in about 12kts and getting the leashes tangled and working out how to fly the wing I got the board up on the foil in a gust. Must have been about 15kts (I am 93kg). Felt great, very different to windfoiling which is what I have spent most of the year doing.
I thought the Starboard 4-1 was pretty good underfoot but of course it was my first attempt.
Usually windfoil the 4-1 totally strapless as I like the freedom it offers. If i feel the need to go faster I use the JP and AFS combo.
I have handled the Naish 2020 wing when Sailrepair sent it up here for a demo but we didn't get the wind. It was noticably heavier than the Echo but also felt sturdier with more abrasion patches. The Echo is very light weight but also look sa little fragile.
Coming from windsurfing I think there is a lot to be said for the boom. It just feels natural and more open without the central strut in view.
Just my initial thoughts, looking forward to session #2
abitwindy
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 10 times

Post by abitwindy »

Farnorthsurfer wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 8:05 pm Quick note to say I have joined the Wing crew with a 2020 Duotone Echo 5m wing. Tried it just after it was dropped off by the courier at a gusty onshore Ardersier on the Moray Firth. Using my 8' Starboard Hypernut and a Slingshot Infinity 84 with the 24" mast.
Was great, after messing about for 30 minutes in about 12kts and getting the leashes tangled and working out how to fly the wing I got the board up on the foil in a gust. Must have been about 15kts (I am 93kg). Felt great, very different to windfoiling which is what I have spent most of the year doing.
I thought the Starboard 4-1 was pretty good underfoot but of course it was my first attempt.
Usually windfoil the 4-1 totally strapless as I like the freedom it offers. If i feel the need to go faster I use the JP and AFS combo.
I have handled the Naish 2020 wing when Sailrepair sent it up here for a demo but we didn't get the wind. It was noticably heavier than the Echo but also felt sturdier with more abrasion patches. The Echo is very light weight but also look sa little fragile.
Coming from windsurfing I think there is a lot to be said for the boom. It just feels natural and more open without the central strut in view.
Just my initial thoughts, looking forward to session #2
Hi Norhsurfer, i recently got into winging and have really been bitten with the wing bug! Im probably about 6 sessions in now and the last couple i had a smaller board that helped massively getting up on to the foil for me. I hadn't done any wind foiling but went for the wing as it looked more surfy to me also like the freedom of no straps but reckon ill want them for jumping soon.
I went for a Ensis wing as it seems to get good reviews and i didn't want a boom just to keep things simple. i wanted to just wing in light winds but already looking at smaller sizes!
ronnie

Post by ronnie »

The 2021 F-One windfoil, wingfoil, SUPfoil board. The Rocket SW2 213.5cm x 77.5cm 135L.
https://www.f-one.world/product/rocket-sw2/
Connor Bainbridge sailing the F-One Rocket.

No Youtube video of the 2021 windfoil in action as yet, but they have just signed Kauli Seadi as a team rider, so we may see him using one soon. In the meantime, a video of Kauli winging on F-One gear.

F-One has been one of the leaders in wave oriented wingfoiling and have a new wind wing for 2021 - the Strike.
Jeroensurf
Has liked: 43 times
Been liked: 87 times

Post by Jeroensurf »

funny to see the shots from Jeri.
Too lame for wavesailing but it will be awesome wing-ing
ronnie

Post by ronnie »

Wingfoiling seems to be developing to kind of close the circle back to windsurfing. The biggest of these SPG Switch boards is 183cm by 62cm and 85 litres, which is size that could carry a sail. The intent so far is that it can be used with a wing and either a foil or fins.

http://www.signatureperformancegear.com ... dd286dc7d7

Kai Lenny winging with fins.

Strong winds winging. Not looking good compared to windsurfing.
Last edited by ronnie on Sun Jan 17, 2021 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.