Windfoil + wingfoil boards.

Foiling related talk in here
ronnie
Has liked: 109 times
Been liked: 116 times

Re: Windfoil + wingfoil boards.

Post by ronnie »

Balz Muller is developing both windfoil freestyle and wingfoil freestyle. Often he will use a different board for the two disciplines, but many of the moves are similar to and developed by windsurfing.

Balz wingfoiling at Playa Chica in Tarifa.

Windsurfers sailing at Playa Chica in 2007.

Balz windfoiling freestyle.
ronnie

Post by ronnie »

I haven't seen a board yet which is designed to use the same strap positions for windfoiling and wingfoiling.
Even the 173cm by 67cm by 100L JP X-FOIL 2021 has straps for wingfoiling but they suggest windfoiling it strapless.
There doesn't seem much difference available for foot placement between wingfoiling and windfoiling - in the smaller 2 sizes?
jp-australia-sup-x-foil-pro s.jpg
EDIT:
I found this photo of the JP X-Wing 6' 2" being windfoild with the feet out near the rails, so it looks like if you are going to both wing and wind foil the same board, you might be better doing it strapless.
https://scontent.fbhd1-1.fna.fbcdn.net/ ... e=607A081C
Last edited by ronnie on Fri Mar 19, 2021 12:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rod
Has liked: 343 times
Been liked: 214 times

Post by rod »

To keep the straps in the same place you'd have to move the foil massively (no MFP with winging, hence standing further forward, assuming the foil is in the same place). Also wind foiling (and windsurfing) you stand toward the rear of the board using the sail to counter balance. Winging is more like SUPing where your weight is more naturally over the buoyant part of the board.
ronnie

Post by ronnie »

I just checked the JP tracks and they are 33cm long in the mounting area of the tracks, so quite a lot of adjustment. The Glide plate spacing is 140mm by 90mm and if the nuts are 20mm, that totals about 16cm, leaving about 17cm or 6.7" of adjustment.
So far, the shortest distance I have windfoiled with between the centre of the sail mast base and the front edge of the foil mast is 70cm.

They seem to wing with the foil in the most forward position.
JP x foil wing.jpg
Casey Hauser is using an interesting small Goya windfoil prototype, 4' 10" (147.2cm) and 69 litres. His feet seem in a similar position to wingfoiling straps.

This might be the same board being wingfoiled by his wife.
ronnie

Post by ronnie »

An interesting waist harness/waist leash combination.
Similar to this harness from Ozone?
https://ozonekites.com/products/harness ... g-harness/