Is foiling Settling down

Foiling related talk in here
Jeroensurf
Has liked: 43 times
Been liked: 87 times

Re: Is foiling Settling down

Post by Jeroensurf »

Funnily for me the perception is the other way around.
In 2021 2 wavesailing sessions and 14 wing. Even on mild 4.7 days I rather play with the wing makig it with the foil riding the swell way more exciting as hitting a hip-shoulder high lame wave on my wavegear.
Since oct I only grab my wavegear when there are really proper waves.
ronnie
Has liked: 109 times
Been liked: 116 times

Post by ronnie »

Zane showing where wingfoiling is at in small waves and very light wind, with a 5m wing.

grantmac
Been liked: 11 times

Post by grantmac »

Perhaps I lack some required balance to enjoy winging. Windfoiling small swell is great, but I just can't transition to the front handle successfully on the wing.

I'm not giving up on it. But its not enjoyable really at the moment.
ronnie
Has liked: 109 times
Been liked: 116 times

Post by ronnie »

grantmac wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 2:49 pm Perhaps I lack some required balance to enjoy winging. Windfoiling small swell is great, but I just can't transition to the front handle successfully on the wing.

I'm not giving up on it. But its not enjoyable really at the moment.
I recently discovered that wearing contact lenses improves my balance and helps me judge the depth of the water etc. I'm long sighted, but never needed contacts to windsurf, but they make a clear improvement for foiling.

There can be a big difference between the handling of wings on the front handle. My original Duotone wings are very unstable on the front handle and have to be held on the boom, or the front bracket of the boom.
grantmac
Been liked: 11 times

Post by grantmac »

After having them lasered my eyes are good both ways, thankfully.

My wings are Ozone which are probably some of the best mannered. My issue isn't them misbehaving, its having nothing to help me stay balanced.
I haven't been successful gybing the wing for the same reason although I've gotten close.
Jeroensurf

Post by Jeroensurf »

The balance thing needs some time to get used too. So are the jibes. I struggled with it a lot, but lately I fly +50% through and the ones I don,t its just a light touchdown before bouncing up and flying through pretty steady. Having less swims makes it more fun too.
Strange enough the moment I made the most progression with my jibe was after using an way faster and more technical HA foil as my own, making my own gear after that suddenly feel easy and more comfortable to accelerate into the jibe.

You will get there, it just takes sometimes a bit more time.
Jeroensurf

Post by Jeroensurf »

I stumbled yesterday over this video and it describes exactly how I jibe with the wing foil too.

Saturday it was dead onshore and big waves, we went to a lake. There were 2 windsurfers, 2 windsurf-foilers and 4 wingers.
The 1 know one of windsurf foilers, he tried my wing foil and after 30 hilarious minutes he was flying, that evening his windsurf-foil gear was for sale and ordered a wing set to replace it with.

Yesterday side shore 5m windsurf wind, sunny and slow waist high waves but headhigh swell outside. aprox 30 wavesailors and 5 wingers.
I did a few runs with the windsurfgear of a friend who asked if i can look at how everything was set up, wavesailing was okayish but sticked with the wing for way more fun and 1minute rides on the swell from ll the way in the back to the beach.

I'm not religious but one of my sailing buddy is.
He saw me coming in, flying above the water on the swell, high on the foil with my wing completely neutral flying next to me, not holding on, but it just followed me on the leash. He told me later I really looked like Jesus that way.....just a bit fatter :mrgreen: