Re: Is foiling Settling down

Post by maker »

I'd be tempted if windfoil worked in say 10 knots
James.blonde
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 42 times

Post by James.blonde »

Where I am on the south coast, wave sailing is pretty much a winter sport as it's the only time we get swell. It may well blow 25knts in a good summer breeze but it rarely gives anything to get excited about. I like the look of the freedom a foil gives with a wing, I think it gives more freedom than a rig if you were to catch a swell or small wave. It doesn't give the speed of windsurf wave sailing, it's more like surfing.
If I could get a demo on one to try it for a couple of sessions I think that would mamy mind up. Foils have gotten bigger this year from many brands and this is a step towards low wind flight.
I do think the sea state is massively overlooked for foiling, chop makes it so much harder.
rod
Has liked: 343 times
Been liked: 214 times

Post by rod »

I used to sail on the S Coast, mostly at Camber and W Hove, both ace summer wave spots, because they work with windswell.

I agree that foiling is harder in chop, especially uphauling! S Wales is very choppy (massive tides), but I've found that the kind of places where I would never usually sail (beaches at HT, more sheltered etc) have turned out to be fantastic.
Jeroensurf
Has liked: 43 times
Been liked: 87 times

Post by Jeroensurf »

The spots where I sail and windsurf-foil are all beach breaks where you need to wade through waves a bit before the water is deep enough for the foil.
It is hard for me and my gear to get out and that is way easier with the wing: put the board upside down and put it forward and keep the wing on the front just up instead of waves crashing on your rig etc.

A friend of me got a Duotone wing and he is a bit earlier up to plane with it and a NP Large surffoil as I do with my Naish Hoover 4 in 1 and Large foil with 5.3 on it,besides getting in and out is way easier the biggest difference is riding waves/swell: Especially when it is onshore or side-on i'm a bit limited in the angles i can ride the waves just like with normal wavesailing even I don,t need the power from the sail...I need to prevent that I got backwinded.
With the wing he just puts it up, keeps a hand on the front and he can move on the wave/swell in any direction having way more freedom to choose his line.
I don,t see the benefits in flat water but more as an extension to supfoiling where you don,t have to paddle out and catch swell/waves further back the help of the wing that would otherwise be unrideable. Great for Sea/Ocean use, good replacement for sup windsurfing in such conditions, but probably not for every one.

Note: He got his duotone since sept and alreay got it 5-6 times repaired. Nice light stuff, but personally I would buy something stronger.
James.blonde
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 42 times

Post by James.blonde »

That's very interesting Jeroensurf, it's what I thought looked possible on the vids.
The freedom of riding in on a swell is what attracts me the most. I too think I would get bored of just going back and forth being limited by the rig. What sized wing did he have, a 5m I assume?
rod

Post by rod »

Jeroensurf a bit off topic, what foil are you using?
Jeroensurf

Post by Jeroensurf »

@James He,s on a 5 when i,m on a 5.3 sail and slightly earlier planing.
Once planing windsurfing i,m faster.
@Rod, I,m using a Naish hoover 2018 4 in 1, so 7.6x30x120l (but feels rather like a 110) with the Naish Large Surf wing.
A bit of a problem is that I have too much (expensive) hobby,s so i have to spread the fundings, but serious considering a bigger foil (Probably Slingshot Infinity 84) and a 6m Wing just for the light wind days that I can,t windsurf/ wavesail with 104l and a 5.8 sail.
rod

Post by rod »

@Jeroensurf Interesting.
I'm using a Naish XL surf foil (and also have the Naish thrust) on a Naish micro hover. Back to back with my friend Steve on a Slingshot 76 (and slingshot board) I'd say the Naish XL surf foil gets up quite a bit earlier than the Sl76 (he is also a better windfoiler than me). So it is much better for light wind (with 5.8m), but it is slow.
I am also tempted by the SL84 but wonder if it will be as efficient in low wind as the Naish Xl (it will definitely be faster).
Jeroensurf

Post by Jeroensurf »

Naish makes nice stuff but its rather expensive and NP and SS feel a lot stiffer/ more quality for it money.
I like the foiling, but don,t wanna spend thousands on it as it is just an extra toy in the already pretty stuffed shed and garage.
BTB
Has liked: 155 times
Been liked: 52 times

Post by BTB »

rod wrote: Mon Dec 23, 2019 4:48 pm
James.blonde wrote: Sun Dec 22, 2019 6:11 pm From what I've seen you can use a wing in the same or less wind than an equivalent sized windsurfing sail and then have supreme maneuverability. Vids I've seen have them out with the surfers, fully foiling tiny boards, definitely no windsurfers.
Really? Vid above on the wing its pretty windy, there is a regular windsurfer absolutely flying in the top left of the shot at one point.

I've seen two people trying it in Wales in 5.3 / 5.7 wind (more wind than I would ever want to foil in) and it looked hard and neither of them got up on the foil. It stands to reason with less float in the board, and less sail power (3/4m sail) you are going to need more wind!
I dont think there is a future in wings - it looks like a step back from a windsurfing perspective or a kite perspective, a simplified crossover between the two that has serious performance limitations. If i was a kite surfer why would i not just stick to a kite or a windsurfer not stick to a sail? Less faf but from the real world videos io have seen wings look like a pain in the arse - they only look good when pros are on them and sailing indeal kite / windsurfer foiling conditions. The only appeal i see is maybe for Sup'rs who dont have any windsurfing / kiting skills and want to ride swells in light winds - thats a small population.