Is foiling Settling down

Foiling related talk in here
ronnie
Has liked: 109 times
Been liked: 116 times

Re: Is foiling Settling down

Post by ronnie »

In regard to foiling settling down, from what I have been reading and watching, the faster racing type of foils are the most established design.

I did think that the canard design would be more popular. It's selling points are that both wings lift, so you can have a smaller less wide foil. It also reportedly has a more surfy feel, being back foot oriented and when it stalls, it tends to sink rather than nose dive. It doesn't pump as well as the more standard foil type.

The 'slower' foils is where a lot of development has been happening and there are more variables. Some are very 'pumpable', some lift you at very low speeds, some are very manoeuvrable. The 'pumpability' is a big factor - more so for non-windfoiling applications, because if you pump the foil, the less weight attached to the foil the better.
That may be one of the advantages of the hand held wing, in that the board can be very small and light if you are light enough, fit enough and have enough skill.

The guy in the video on the small inflatable board with the monofoil and the Duotone wing says that he thinks the monofoil will suit winging, because the monofoil is more efficient and needs less power than the regular foil. It's not clear yet how a monofoil will compare to a regular foil for pumping.

The inflatable hand held wing has advantages, but there is still a possibility that a more windsurf-like hand held wing developed for wingfoiling could ultimately be more efficient. This is Kai Lenny trying out the Kitewing.

Sky Lickle first tries with a Kitewing.
Last edited by ronnie on Tue Dec 24, 2019 11:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
ronnie

Post by ronnie »

Wingfoiling could end up more like windfoiling if the Kitewing develops into a water version. Boom, harness line, windsurf type waterstart.

Just to illustrate the additional power needed to start foiling - is what can be produced with a paddle.
maker
Has liked: 107 times
Been liked: 18 times

Post by maker »

Do you need a biiger or smaller wing to foil than a sail i.e. if people are foiling on 7m what sized foil would you need?
ronnie

Post by ronnie »

maker wrote: Wed Dec 25, 2019 8:48 pm Do you need a biiger or smaller wing to foil than a sail i.e. if people are foiling on 7m what sized foil would you need?
It would need someone expert in both to answer that question. eg. Balz Mueller

The amount of skill and ability to put your energy into the foil with some help from the wind in the right way seems to be the most important factor, because it is all about getting the foil flying.

I think the inflatable wing for the same projected area is less efficient than a sail, but there are so many other factors which matter for foiling.
maker
Has liked: 107 times
Been liked: 18 times

Post by maker »

I wondered - foiling appeared in kiting earlier and seems to have settled down into a few people blasting in unbelievabley light winds, maybe 10% of kiters kitefoil in winds equivalent to windsurf 7.5m, and 5% in 6m equivalent, and none in stronger winds. Maybe windsurfing will end up similar, though I do get the impression that competent windsurfer learn to windfoil easier than competent kiters learn to kitefoil
rod
Has liked: 343 times
Been liked: 214 times

Post by rod »

Still most of these videos show wing-thing foiling happening in strong winds (when I'd be regular windsurfing). Obviously there are a few where they are being used as an aid to pump foiling/surfing, which most people do not have the skill (or inclination) to learn.

I guess when I actually see one* scooting around in wind that I can foil in I'll take notice. I'm not holding my breath!

*as opposed to seeing it on a video of super skilled Maui foilers/windsurfer/surfers
James.blonde
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 42 times

Post by James.blonde »

Wasnt that where we saw Naish foiling first in really light wind in Maui, super skilled rider.
rod

Post by rod »

James.blonde wrote: Fri Dec 27, 2019 11:36 am Wasnt that where we saw Naish foiling first in really light wind in Maui, super skilled rider.
Yes! And that was nonsense too. Most people need more wind or a much bigger sail + / bigger foil than the Naish surf
Last edited by rod on Sat Dec 28, 2019 11:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
James.blonde
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 42 times

Post by James.blonde »

Been reading the Gong forum on wings. The consensus is that 15knots with a 5m wing is about the minimum to learn in. As you get better or bigger wing or foil then you will get going earlier. Like most sports, the better you are the more efficient you become.
rod

Post by rod »

James.blonde wrote: Fri Dec 27, 2019 8:43 pm Been reading the Gong forum on wings. The consensus is that 15knots with a 5m wing is about the minimum to learn in.
5 knots more and you could be on a waveboard. That is a whole different scenario to wind foiling. My prediction is wing-things will be gone in two or three years.

And can't say I am tempted to try it.