RRD Pocket Rocket

Foiling related talk in here
ronnie
Has liked: 73 times
Been liked: 91 times

Re: RRD Pocket Rocket

Post by ronnie » Fri Jun 19, 2020 9:13 am

One thing to note about the RRD Pocket Rocket is that there was a major reconfiguration of the layout during 2019.

As tintin.gwen said in his test in the first posting, he thought the front straps were too close to the mast track.

Almost everything except the foil position may have been moved slightly in the revised layout. There is more distance between the mast track and the front straps and the mast track and the carry handle. I'm not sure what all the changes are, but they are worth being aware of and knowing whether you are buying the new layout or the old one.

This is the new layout board in both these videos. The front straps are mounted within the orange area. The handle is partly behind the front straps. The rear straps might be still in the same position - just the border of the grey areas have been moved?

rod
Has liked: 270 times
Been liked: 159 times

Post by rod » Sat Jun 20, 2020 6:46 pm

I have one of these in my van (repairing a ding for a friend). So once fixed I'll get to try it.

Jeff
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 9 times

Post by Jeff » Tue Jun 23, 2020 3:00 pm

The new boards do have Y25 on them as RRD's slightly confusing year system, so it should be obvious whether it is a current board. Had a proper second go out on mine yesterday. Cheated utterly and went to Esso beach for flat water and had coaching too. Inboard straps in their middle screw positions. Loads of fun even for a foiling novice.

Also went for a matching RRD WH Alu foil, which is a 1582cm foil and 85cm mast. 5.3 went well in Force 3-4. Think the board could have taken 5.7 or 6m but still plenty of exciting moments with a relatively small sail. Foil was excellent, easy to get going and even when really high, it would either hold in until I could get forward and lower it, or cavitate but with a gentle touchdown.

I think the length of the board suits it and tacking and gybing and uphauling (a lot of uphauling going on) was easy. Waterstarts were possible with a bit of contortion as so much volume in tail.

As noted earlier in thread, the twin US plate boxes on this board are about 20cm in front of the tuttle box. I would much prefer to use the plate fitting but that will bring the front wing forward unless you switch to the shorter 76cm surf/sup/wing fuselage. Will have to experiment a bit, grateful for any tips.

ronnie
Has liked: 73 times
Been liked: 91 times

Post by ronnie » Tue Jun 23, 2020 3:58 pm

Jeff wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 3:00 pm
The new boards do have Y25 on them as RRD's slightly confusing year system, so it should be obvious whether it is a current board. Had a proper second go out on mine yesterday. Cheated utterly and went to Esso beach for flat water and had coaching too. Inboard straps in their middle screw positions. Loads of fun even for a foiling novice.

Also went for a matching RRD WH Alu foil, which is a 1582cm foil and 85cm mast. 5.3 went well in Force 3-4. Think the board could have taken 5.7 or 6m but still plenty of exciting moments with a relatively small sail. Foil was excellent, easy to get going and even when really high, it would either hold in until I could get forward and lower it, or cavitate but with a gentle touchdown.

I think the length of the board suits it and tacking and gybing and uphauling (a lot of uphauling going on) was easy. Waterstarts were possible with a bit of contortion as so much volume in tail.

As noted earlier in thread, the twin US plate boxes on this board are about 20cm in front of the tuttle box. I would much prefer to use the plate fitting but that will bring the front wing forward unless you switch to the shorter 76cm surf/sup/wing fuselage. Will have to experiment a bit, grateful for any tips.
Hi Jeff, in post No1 of this thread the board has Y25 on it, but the front footstraps and handle are in different positions to the later Y25 boards.

motogon

Post by motogon » Tue Jun 23, 2020 4:32 pm

BTW: what bolt holes diameter in tuttle box? I'm using Slingshot foil and had to drill out holes in my Fanatic for 10 mm bolts.

Jeff

Post by Jeff » Tue Jun 23, 2020 5:25 pm

Hi Ronnie, oops, pure fluke I have ended up with a newer one with footstraps all in the Orange zone.

@motogon the RRD bolts are 6mm and Tuttle box would be a tight fit or need a little drilling even for 8mm. Drilling to 10mm would affect resale or suitability if you wanted to revert to a 6mm bolt.

I prefer the plate as it has 4 points of attachment, and on this board, the footstraps get in the way of tightening the Tuttle bolts, especially as it is simple to take a small bike tool for a quick tighten during a session, as opposed to a long torx wrench which could be lethal.

motogon

Post by motogon » Wed Jun 24, 2020 12:10 am

... but, isn't tracks too far forward on this board? I assume tracks are on this board just for surf-SUP-wing foiling.

motogon

Post by motogon » Thu Jun 25, 2020 1:31 pm

Jeff wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 5:25 pm
@motogon the RRD bolts are 6mm and Tuttle box would be a tight fit or need a little drilling even for 8mm. Drilling to 10mm would affect resale or suitability if you wanted to revert to a 6mm bolt.
I sent email to RRD asking regarding drilling out those holes to 10 mm. They replay saying "drill it out, no problem".
BTW: Yesterday I received my new board. :D
new_pr.jpg

Smidge
Has liked: 64 times
Been liked: 67 times

Post by Smidge » Thu Jun 25, 2020 3:22 pm

There is a video guide on the slingshot website on how to drill out your fin bolt holes to 10mm. Too scary for me - I use the adapters, which are probably nowhere near as strong. I might have a go at drilling it out in a bored moment on the very old board though, as it needs very long bolts and their strength worries me.

Jeff

Post by Jeff » Fri Jun 26, 2020 2:24 pm

@motogon, the new board looks great. That location looks perfect for foiling too, flat water, sandy beach, even a gentle ramp and a decking bench/combo for recovering afterwards.