Windfoil freestyle (360s upwind/downwind) video!

Foiling related talk in here
billyboy
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 28 times

Re: Windfoil freestyle (360s upwind/downwind) video!

Post by billyboy » Thu Oct 03, 2019 12:19 pm

rod wrote:
Wed Oct 02, 2019 12:29 pm
billyboy wrote:
Wed Oct 02, 2019 12:11 pm
I've been considering converting my 100l FS board. It
Definitely an interesting idea but I almost always need to uphaul during foil sessions. Not every time I fall, but often.

That's because the wind is often light, often comes and goes (more so than on a windy day) and I'm using a sail far smaller than regular windsurfing (8.5/6.5 regular windsurfing to 5.8/4.7 for foil).

Also if you can waterstart easily you will most likely be overpowered on the foil. Or that is what I have found.
I can uphaul my FS board. Presumably even easier with a foil attached...

Smidge
Has liked: 31 times
Been liked: 31 times

Post by Smidge » Thu Oct 03, 2019 5:00 pm

If you can uphaul your FS board then converting it to foilable is a real option (Im thinking of doing the same with mine (110l)- but not quite sure i can uphaul it sufficiently reliably though - especially in fresh water). A client of Josh Whites has done just that. However, I wouldnt want to learn foiling on a FS board as a first timer - that will be a very steep curve that I wouldnt have been up to coping with personally.

I plan to put twin tracks in mine, not a deep tuttle, as getting the position just right is going to be really hard in a retro fit (and my slingshot can take deep tuttle or pedestal).

The other issue though is that Im often out foiling in very variable and light winds - so half of most sessions it is below 11 knots and 90 kg of lazy me cant get on the foil in that - so you are just bogging around and tacking, which I can do quite comfortably on a big board - its even quite relaxed and you can have a nice chat with others whilst pootling along looking at the view. The other half the session Im up on the foil grinning from ear to ear.

Im nervous that if I convert the FS board, I will get very frustrated in the wobbling around phase falling off on the no wind tacks or gybes and having to regularly do a tricky light wind uphaul.

rod
Has liked: 101 times
Been liked: 66 times

Post by rod » Fri Oct 04, 2019 12:43 am

Smidge wrote:
Thu Oct 03, 2019 5:00 pm
The other issue though is that Im often out foiling in very variable and light winds - so half of most sessions it is below 11 knots and 90 kg of lazy me cant get on the foil in that - so you are just bogging around and tacking
This is my experience too. Wind that is a nice F3-4 drops to a F2 for half an hour and shifts around. Or even drops to absolutely nothing for a while.
In those conditions I wouldn't want to be on a 100L board.*

I would like a narrower tailed board for foiling at some point, but for me it will be something that doesn't quite exist yet. Although the new slingshot freestyle is close.
https://www.slingshotsports.com/2020-Freestyle (if you add 15L).

*I know wave sailors think they sail in light winds on 100L boards but foiling really is another level.

roblove

Post by roblove » Fri Oct 04, 2019 8:59 am

Hi, I have been foiling with a GlideWind attached to my 2007 JP FreeStyle 100 for a couple of months now. I'm 75kg and the foil adds another 7kg I think, I'm also on a fresh water lake which takes away a bit of buoyancy too. I find that in tacks and up-hauls the foil acts a bit like a keel and actually makes the board quite stable, you just need to be conscious of the extra weight at the back, but the JP FS has quite a thick tail which compensates a bit. Gybing when off the foil is more difficult than tacking due to the increased tail weight. The big mast also seems to help when slogging upwind when the wind dies too.

I started foiling in April, putting the GlideWind on an old Mistral Radar 140. Moving to the JP FS wasn't too much of a transition - and please don't think I'm some great windsurfer. Foiling on a narrow 100l board in a F4 is certainly exciting. With footstraps on the centre line its a nervous, twitchy ride but way more fun/rewarding than a wide tailed foil board. I'm not even close to a foiling gybe yet though and its certainly not a light wind option unless you can pump like a pro.

ronnie
Has liked: 35 times
Been liked: 49 times

Post by ronnie » Fri Oct 04, 2019 9:17 am

roblove wrote:
Fri Oct 04, 2019 8:59 am
Hi, I have been foiling with a GlideWind attached to my 2007 JP FreeStyle 100 for a couple of months now. I'm 75kg and the foil adds another 7kg I think, I'm also on a fresh water lake which takes away a bit of buoyancy too. I find that in tacks and up-hauls the foil acts a bit like a keel and actually makes the board quite stable, you just need to be conscious of the extra weight at the back, but the JP FS has quite a thick tail which compensates a bit. Gybing when off the foil is more difficult than tacking due to the increased tail weight. The big mast also seems to help when slogging upwind when the wind dies too.

I started foiling in April, putting the GlideWind on an old Mistral Radar 140. Moving to the JP FS wasn't too much of a transition - and please don't think I'm some great windsurfer. Foiling on a narrow 100l board in a F4 is certainly exciting. With footstraps on the centre line its a nervous, twitchy ride but way more fun/rewarding than a wide tailed foil board. I'm not even close to a foiling gybe yet though and its certainly not a light wind option unless you can pump like a pro.
Hi Rob, I tested my NP Glide Wind with the Large wings, Wind fuselage and 70cm tuttle mast and it floated in sea water with at least 0.5 litres of +buoyancy (but that was with very little water in the mast).

roblove

Post by roblove » Fri Oct 04, 2019 9:48 am

That's interesting as I have the small wings both front and rear. I've not tried to see if it floats as given the amount of heavy aluminium I've assumed it wouldn't - even going the extent of trying a leash around the foil's mast to my rear footstrap incase I hit something and strip the single fin bolt thread. Next time I take it out I'll give it a flotation test.

Anyone know of a NP dealer in the UK that can get medium or large wings for the Glide?

Thanks

ronnie

Post by ronnie » Fri Oct 04, 2019 11:33 am

roblove wrote:
Fri Oct 04, 2019 9:48 am
That's interesting as I have the small wings both front and rear. I've not tried to see if it floats as given the amount of heavy aluminium I've assumed it wouldn't - even going the extent of trying a leash around the foil's mast to my rear footstrap incase I hit something and strip the single fin bolt thread. Next time I take it out I'll give it a flotation test.

Anyone know of a NP dealer in the UK that can get medium or large wings for the Glide?
Thanks
Hi Rob,

You could try The Sup Hut or Boardwise, but I think there are several other possibilities too.
NP are also reportedly bringing out an XLarge wing of about 2000 sq cm soon and an 80 cm aluminium mast.

I've usually been using the Large front wing with the Small rear, to try to get maximum lift and also tweak the balance point a little more to the rear.

Sailrepair
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 56 times

Post by Sailrepair » Sat Oct 05, 2019 5:07 pm

Being a NP dealer I have just had a look for you at the NP stock for Europe.

there is a "Large 19 Wing Foil Front Glide Surf" but the Medium and Small are sold out.

They also have the "19 Wing Foil Front Glide Wind"

ronnie

Post by ronnie » Sun Oct 06, 2019 9:11 am

I have the NP Glide Large and Medium wings, a 70cm tuttle mast and 65cm plate mast, and both the Surf and Wind fuselages. The differences between the Wind and Surf parts is mainly the fuselage, which for the Wind Fuselage moves the front wing 10.5cm further forward compared to the Surf fuselage. The Plate mount and 65cm mast also tend to be associated with a Surf setup, but everything is combine-able. Each wing is both Wind and Surf applicable.

When I switched the Large wings Wind fuselage setup from the Tuttle 70cm mast to the 65cm plate mast, it still floated, but with about 0.25 litres less positive buoyancy.

roblove

Post by roblove » Mon Oct 07, 2019 2:22 pm

Many thanks for the wing advice - I'm very tempted to try a medium front wing

I did a quick flotation test yesterday - in fresh water a GlideWind (small front and rear wings) does sink