What kit are you flying on?

Foiling related talk in here
deckchair
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 6 times

Re: What kit are you flying on?

Post by deckchair » Wed Apr 10, 2019 10:02 am

hi guys my wife and i are both on Slingshot Hover Glide FWind1 's from about oct last year . we have used the slingshot three mast system and that has really worked well . i have a starboard 155 and the Mrs has a fanatic slalom. both boards have worked well but the foot straps on both are definitely in the wrong positions. i have bucked the trend for the bigger front wings and instead brought warp speed 65's . So far only used 6.2 or less ,mainly foiled on a 5m tush storm till i went though it last weekend.

Sailrepair
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 50 times

Post by Sailrepair » Fri Apr 26, 2019 3:09 pm

I have a new little foiling friend ImageImage Which is a little bit like "little & large"

RodBos
Been liked: 1 time

Post by RodBos » Sat Apr 27, 2019 8:39 am

What are your thought for sail sizes to use with either board and cross over wind range? I’m possibly thinking about getting a smaller board to pair with my foil 144 for use with sails below 6.2m and I don’t really like the foil122 as it’s a bit too entry level.
Are you planning to use your AFS 95 on it?

Sailrepair

Post by Sailrepair » Sat Apr 27, 2019 10:02 am

I haven't used the 105 much, yesterday was its first outing. It is supposed to take up to 6.0 but I stuck my 6.5 on it and it seemed ok with that.

The smallest sail I have used on the AHD thunderbolt 85 is a 5.3 and it was fine with that. In truth the limiting factor is trying to carry the board down the beach once it gets windy as it gets awkward if a gust catches the board. I am sure it would be fine with 5.0 or smaller. I will use the 105 mainly in winds for 6.0 and below. As mentioned it flew fine with my 6.5 turbo but you definitely want a bit of breeze. There was a dead patch of wind next to the shore and I didn't manage to uphaul it. I think I could if there was a slight breeze but in no wind the board just turns into the wind and by the time the sail comes up you are back winded. A smaller sail "snatched up" should work I am 94kg and was up to my knees when uphauling and at 205 it is prone to nose diving. But thats not the wind its made for. It needed a bit more wind to fly than the AHD , you have to go much broader off the wind when pumping it up. So I think it would be perfectly useable in a steady 15 kts but the AHD is also in its element in that.

Yes I used the W95 on it with a 800 wing. I need to use it more to find out what it can and can't do.

ronnie
Has liked: 33 times
Been liked: 46 times

Post by ronnie » Sat Apr 27, 2019 10:52 am

Wyatt Miller talking about the Slingshot Wizard boards. Even he struggles a bit to uphaul the 103.

I took my JP 105 out for the first time last Sunday with the NP Glide Large foil. The wind was always marginal for waterstarting the 6.3m sail and too light to waterstart near the shore. I put the sail at the front of the track, as I wasn't sure with the big wing if it would lift too much. I uphauled it after a few attempts to waterstart near the shore (I'm 76 kg). It was OK to uphaul there and I sailed out about a mile. The board stayed on the water with both feet just in front of the straps, and when I put my front foot in, I could shift my weight and make it glide or set it down.

I fell in during the gybe and spent a while trying to waterstart. The wind was steady and soo close to being able to waterstart. I made one and then hooked in too early and the foil tipped me off. At some point I must have strained a tendon at the back of my left knee when trying to force the waterstarts, but didn't realise that until hours later. Uphauling was a bit more hit and miss in the 10" waves, with the sail right at the front of the track. Waterstarting is also more difficult with the sail at the front of the track, as it tends to push the nose downwind. The chamfered rails may contribute to all the sideways resistance seeming to come from the foil mast area. I ended up having to uphaul.

The 6.3m sail was doable, but felt big. I will move the sail back to as far aft as is comfortable in future, and have ordered a 2018 5.9m GA IQ, which I hope to set up like my 5.4m IQ. That will be my biggest sail from now on. The IQ's are good value and I hope I can get the 2018 to work with maybe a Gaastra stiff top mast combination.

RodBos

Post by RodBos » Fri May 24, 2019 9:21 am

Is the 105 the carbon edition ?
If so what’s the paint finish and the construction feel like.
I think I may have to get a Jp 120 as I’m not a huge fan of the starboard 122... and can’t see any other easily available alternatives.
However after the paint flaking off my wood jp135 I’m very hesitant on getting another jp.

Sailrepair

Post by Sailrepair » Fri May 24, 2019 2:31 pm

Are you asking me or ronnie, both having different JP 105s?

I had a 135 Wood and like you its paint would chip off if you so much as looked at the board. that is why I got a carbon one this time, More expensive but at least I have half a chance of being able to do a invisible repair. I haven't used it much to say how it will hold up but the main thing is there is no paint to chip off the rails or deck.

Sailrepair

Post by Sailrepair » Fri May 24, 2019 2:33 pm

I got some long awaited AFS 1000 wings today. Luckily I managed to take them straight onto the water and they went well.

RodBos

Post by RodBos » Fri May 24, 2019 2:55 pm

It was your foil jp105 I was wondering about Sailrepair.
The 1000 wings are really useful. I purchased the equivalent Starboard version and they’ve transformed the lightwind foiling on my 144.

Sailrepair

Post by Sailrepair » Fri May 24, 2019 9:52 pm

Well RodBos you went and jinxed my board. I went and dropped a fin on it and it went through the bottom of the board. I'm not very pleased with myself. And then to make matters worse as soon as I had put some epoxy on it the wind got up and it would have been great conditions for the little board.