Foiling related talk in here
Sailrepair
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 50 times

Re: What kit are you flying on?

Post by Sailrepair » Wed Feb 06, 2019 8:15 pm

Jamesblonde wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 6:43 pm
For something that spends most of it's time clear of the water, what is it about the board that was worth the wait?
Good question.
There are a few important considerations for the board despite it being in the air.
1/ How easily it takes off which is a combination of tail shape and rear footstrap placement.
2/ How easy it is to control flight once up. Which is mainly footstrap placement.
3/consequences when you over foil and come crashing down, you don't want the nose to catch.

This is my 8th foil board. I've had boards that have dragged their tails due to being a bit narrow in the tail for my 95kg and I have had boards where in particular the back strap has never felt in a comfortable place. And I have had boards that when they over foil they come down just like a spitefire shot down during the battle of Britain ie bank over into a inevitable crash.

I originally went with AHD as they have been foiling for 10 years, I have had their SL2 boards and like them so this is the next generation of foil boards from them. It has been a frustrating wait in truth because they kept posting photos of themselves testing the prototype boards over the last year. The board has drastically changed shape about 3 times over that period of time.

RodBos
Been liked: 1 time

Post by RodBos » Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:33 pm

Good reply.
The choice of foil board is really crucial, and each of them has their own characteristics.
As you say they are out of the water but the balance between foot pressure due to strap position is key to really feeling confident on the foil.

For example I’m thinking of moving on my jp135. It obviously suited the np foil really well, apart from the paint chipping issues you noted earlier it’s been a great foiling board
However as I’ve moved onto the starboard 95 foil I’ve found it’s not that suited. The starboard foil is very much more front footed and I can’t easily tune the jp135 to accommodate it.
So unless I keep it and the np foil as a spare, it’ll have to go.

Sailrepair

Post by Sailrepair » Fri Feb 08, 2019 7:33 am

Hi RodBos

Are you saying that your JP is wanting to rise all the time? And I guess you have moved the straps and mast foot to the front?

I can imagine the JP doing that as I thought it had a natural tendency to lift. I suppose its designed to help people to get up into the air and then if the foil is also designed to help you fly when you put the two together its not going to balance that well.

RodBos
Been liked: 1 time

Post by RodBos » Fri Feb 08, 2019 9:11 am

Yes whilst the jp is very balanced with the NP foil and the starboard foil in its GT setup- 800/330 wings on a 75 fuselage.
Once you move to the longer Starboard 95 fuselage or 115 race with any of the wing combinations, the front wing progressively moves forward relative to the Tuttle head.
This has the effect of creating massive lift and power.
With the mast foot and the straps in their most forward positions, the board is just about sailable but there’s a lot of pressure on the front foot to keep it all under control.
This just gave me a very personal insight, that it’s better to try to stick with boards and foils which have been designed to work together.
Naish / JP-NP / Starboard / AHD-AFS etc I can’t comment on Fanatics, Elixir, Phantom or RRD setups.

I’d be interested in your thoughts on the new blue AHD 85

Sailrepair

Post by Sailrepair » Fri Feb 08, 2019 9:45 am

RodBos wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 9:11 am
I’d be interested in your thoughts on the new blue AHD 85
So far I have only used it once. I had high hopes for it since I really liked the AHD SL2. I use it with a AFS W95 and with that it is the best balanced board I have had. As you say it was developed with the AFS foils so it should balance.

Here is my report back to Kai sports (the AHD importer)

" The wind was all over the place both in strength and direction. I went with a 7.5 but should have been on my 6.5.

Getting going - It was quite choppy so it was hard to tell just how easy it will fly, it certainly was not slow to fly and didn't seem to need any special technique, it just naturally sets off. In a lull I tried my sl2 technique of bouncing the foil, it did help but I guess the bigger tail is harder to pump. But it is a area that will get better as I get used to the board.

Flight - easy in and out of the straps, very comfortable in the straps. The board is more responsive to altitude corrections ie it will go up or down quicker than any other board I have foiled on. I think the straps are about 4cm wider apart than on the sl2 which would explain it. The board seems to naturally fly level (side to side)and when using the back strap there was no tendency for it to drop the windward rail. I think due to a combination of being further out means you drive the board a bit harder and it did seem faster at times which is what I expected might happen.

Over foiling/touch downs, I think the shorter length made dropping from full height a bit more dramatic but the nose would hit and then it would sort of plane on its nose. With a lot of boards - you drop and because your weight goes back to try to save the situation the board then bounces back up and it is often not the first drop that gets you but the second. On the thunderbolt it didn't seem to do the bounce back up again and the nose seemed to keep tracking with speed. It might be the wide tail means that when you come down hard it doesn't sink in and put the nose up again.

Gybeing - I will need to adjust a bit, with my usual technique the board came up very high as I started to carve then it went round fine. My feet need to get used to the deck shape but there is lots of room for wayward feet.

Upwind/ downwind - It pointed higher and went broader than any other board I have foiled.

So in summary I guess it is all as expected and hoped for and I look forward to getting used to it."

In fairness to other boards such as the JP, when I had the JP I was not as competent as I am now so I am sure I would now be able to get more out of the JP than I did in the early days.

Having had the NP foil and then changed to AFS they seem similar in where they lift from.

Smidge
Has liked: 30 times
Been liked: 29 times

Post by Smidge » Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:46 am

I just took delivery of a Slingshot Hover Glide FWIND 2019 with the Infinity 76 wing (its my birthday, and a big one...). Havent used it yet, but WOW - the size of the wing is mind blowing. Cant wait to see how it performs.

Sailrepair

Post by Sailrepair » Mon Feb 25, 2019 4:41 pm

I made a video of my latest board - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WxQ5nD37aSg&t=102s

wully
Has liked: 48 times
Been liked: 39 times

Post by wully » Mon Feb 25, 2019 9:51 pm

Is that one of your sails John?

Sailrepair

Post by Sailrepair » Tue Feb 26, 2019 7:39 am

Hi Wully

No it is a severne turbo.

wully
Has liked: 48 times
Been liked: 39 times

Post by wully » Tue Feb 26, 2019 8:44 pm

Oh, they must have upped their game then.....