What kit are you flying on?

Foiling related talk in here
RodBos

Re: What kit are you flying on?

Post by RodBos » Mon Feb 04, 2019 10:16 am

I’m 84kg
Flying on JP135, with NP F4 carbon foil with 2 front wings.
Recently purchased our 3rd foil ...a Starboard carbon race 95 foil and have 115/ 95 / 75 fuselage. 800 front wing and 330/255 rear wing
My OH is on Starboard foil 122 with Starboard GT 85 carbon foil with freeride 1100 front and 500 rear wing on a 75 fuselage.
I use NP H2 twin cam 7.7/7.2/6.2m
OH uses NP hornet 7.2/ Ryde 6.5 / Atlas 5.8 / Atlas 5.0m

Westy
Has liked: 20 times

Post by Westy » Mon Feb 04, 2019 1:21 pm

Keen to hear thoughts on the new NP Glide foil especially for PowerBox. Is it a good idea? This is the sort of foiling that interests me, the low performance end with small sails and freeride boards not 90cm wide monsters. The Naish Hover board and Thrust foil originally caught my attention but the Glide foil would be a much more affordable entry point.
Last edited by Westy on Tue Feb 05, 2019 1:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ronnie
Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 26 times

Post by ronnie » Tue Feb 05, 2019 11:39 am

Westy wrote:
Mon Feb 04, 2019 1:21 pm
Keen to hear thoughts on the new JP Glide foil especially for PowerBox. Is it a good idea? This is the sort of foiling that interests me, the low performance end with small sails and freeride boards not 90cm wide monsters. The Naish Hover board and Thrust foil originally caught my attention but the Glide foil would be a much more affordable entry point.
JP are the board company most associated with Neil Pryde and this is their statement on using foils with their Powerbox.
https://jp-australia.com/2019/blog/no-f ... -powerbox/
If companies start modifying boards and Powerboxes to take foils then that may change.

This is what Neil Pryde say on Warranty in their FAQ section on foils.
Can I use your Foil with a non-reinforced Powerbox?
We do not recommend to do so. This is due to the fact that the foils are putting a lot of force onto the powerbox, which can lead to damages. However, at this stage we also do not offer a reinforced Powerbox available as spare part.
We only have the deep tuttle reinforced box available.
Please check our foiling section thoroughly for further information:
https://www.neilpryde.com/collections/foils

I had my Fanatic Gecko 112 modified to add 2 US tracks and retain the Powerbox. That was because the 2017 Zeeko foil was intended for use with tracks and it gave the option to move the foil to find a balance point on a board that was never meant to foil.

I agree that the type of foiling you want to do is one that it would be nice to have a simple way into. NP seem to have gone some way to spread the load with the Powerbox head, but I am surprised that they offer the Powerbox as the standard attachment method when they don't recommend using it without a reinforced Powerbox (which I haven't heard of any manufacturers fitting).

P.S. I have a particular Glide Wind combination on order for quite a while now. A few of the standard spec Glide Winds seem to be arriving, but like some other foiling equipment for 2019, supply is not as quick as you might expect.

Westy
Has liked: 20 times

Post by Westy » Tue Feb 05, 2019 1:07 pm

Thanks @ronnie, good info. I meant NP Glide in my original post of course (now corrected).

Emphatic disclaimers there. Interesting that the NP statement you quote is completely at odds with their marketing videos.

The board I was planning to foil on, a Tabou Rocket Wide 110, is last year's model and so I would not like to risk damaging the box on it. With hindsight I would have gone for the 'foil ready' 120 but this time last year foiling was simply not on my radar.

Sailrepair

Post by Sailrepair » Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:13 pm

Pryde have a video of how to fit their powerbox foils. The crucial bit is getting a firm contact between the flange at the top of the mast and the underside of the board.

NP own JP so it is odd that the two companies are at odds about the suitability of power boxes. the optional heads are now available, the Tuttle head has just arrived for my glide foil.

I am just back from Tobago where I used the new Pryde alu wind foil.

RodBos

Post by RodBos » Wed Feb 06, 2019 12:36 pm

After feeling the force going through my Tuttle box and how it sometimes moves when powered up on the foil.. I really wouldn’t trust a powerbox to take the loading

Sailrepair

Post by Sailrepair » Wed Feb 06, 2019 2:32 pm

Here is my new foil board. I have been waiting a year for it to finally go into production

RodBos

Post by RodBos » Wed Feb 06, 2019 3:28 pm

The new AHD !

Sailrepair

Post by Sailrepair » Wed Feb 06, 2019 4:42 pm

Yes, the Thunderbolt 85. I have just been out on it for the first time (arrived yesterday).

Jamesblonde
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 14 times

Post by Jamesblonde » Wed Feb 06, 2019 6:43 pm

For something that spends most of it's time clear of the water, what is it about the board that was worth the wait?