What kit are you flying on?

Foiling related talk in here
Tubby_Dug

Re: What kit are you flying on?

Post by Tubby_Dug » Wed Nov 28, 2018 6:01 pm

I have the starboard "team foil" (550 and 800 front, 330 and 225 rear, 115 and 75 fuselage and a 95 mast). I have used it in a variety of setups on the starboard 147 foil board. I jave also used the starboard 122 and free ride foil a lot.

I am currently using the starboard foil in race setup and a 155 isonic what is 95 wide and what a machine it is for up wind downwind sailing. Looking to try and race it this summer :D

Stev-0
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 4 times

Post by Stev-0 » Thu Nov 29, 2018 7:32 am

I started out with the alu NP foil - the magenta one in June 2017.
Got a 10year old Carbon Art 80cm wide @120L slalom board as they have very strong boxes.
Earlier in 2018 graduated to the Starboard GT alu set up with 75cm alu mast 800 and 330 wings and picked up the 550 wing for high winds.
Then picked up a 10 year old F2 Formula board 1m wide @150L for lighter winds.
Then decided to also get into SUP foiling so got a Starboard 4'n'1 Hypernut 7'2x30" @106L which I can also windfoil as has foot straps and mast track.
Paired that up with a 1st generation carbon Go Foil.
About to order the new Starboard 95cm alu mast and 115 fuselage to beef up the performance of the F2 Formula board and maybe try racing as there is a bit of racing scene starting up this summer in Auckland.
So I will have pretty much the Starboard Race, Slalom and GT foil set ups.
Spent shit loads of $ on this new sport! :roll:
Last edited by Stev-0 on Thu Nov 29, 2018 9:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sailrepair
Been liked: 26 times

Post by Sailrepair » Thu Nov 29, 2018 8:08 am

Tubby_Dug and Stev-0
Could you tell us when you change from one wing to another and your wings wind range.

I have a AFS W95 with a 700 wing and 800 wing. My initial thoughts was to use the 800 in light winds and the 700 in strong winds but I have not really found it as clear cut as that. Probably one of my best sessions ever was with the bigger wing with my 6.0 sail which for me is high winds.

Wings are expensive things but I certainly found that having the extra bigger wing was the equivalent to having a bigger rig so on those grounds it actually works out a lot cheaper. I am 93 kg and tend to use the big wing nearly all the time especially since it is gusty here a lot of the time and the big wing fills the holes between the gusts much better. I use the smaller wing when its windy and I need to react to the violent gusts much more. The smaller wing is a bit quicker but I'm not too bothered about that.

I use 6.0, 7.0 and 8.1 sails and foil in 5 to 25 kts

Stev-0
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 4 times

Post by Stev-0 » Thu Nov 29, 2018 9:55 am

That is a question I can't answer yet but from what I am hearing from some NZ ex-Olympic windsurfers is that 800 wing (Starboard) is the go-to size for most conditions. I want to try the 550 front and 330 back wings in high winds so will report back.

Tubby_Dug

Post by Tubby_Dug » Sun Dec 02, 2018 11:28 pm

Sailrepair wrote:
Thu Nov 29, 2018 8:08 am
Tubby_Dug and Stev-0
Could you tell us when you change from one wing to another and your wings wind range.
To be honest I only change wing if I want to be able to hold down a bigger sail and still stay on a broad reach rather than upwind downwind sailing, so going for top speeds.

Hope that helps.

emgee

Post by emgee » Wed Dec 05, 2018 2:44 pm

Hi folks.

I'm using the RRD Alu 85 v1 foil, with an RRD Firestorm 112 (2018 version, with a hydrofoil box). I started out using a Firemove 120, but that ended badly. The smaller board hasn't proved to be a drawback, although the lack of volume and width in the tail is probably preventing me from getting going earlier, or with a smaller sail. It's a compromise I'm happy to make in order to keep the board quiver small.

Smidge
Has liked: 25 times
Been liked: 22 times

Post by Smidge » Mon Dec 10, 2018 2:02 pm

emgee wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 2:44 pm
Hi folks.

I'm using the RRD Alu 85 v1 foil, with an RRD Firestorm 112 (2018 version, with a hydrofoil box). I started out using a Firemove 120, but that ended badly. The smaller board hasn't proved to be a drawback, although the lack of volume and width in the tail is probably preventing me from getting going earlier, or with a smaller sail. It's a compromise I'm happy to make in order to keep the board quiver small.
Thats interesting. Do you mind letting us know how much you weigh and what sail size/wind strength you can get it going in with out bursting your heart with wild pumping? I would like to move to a single board that I can blast on in flat shallow water on a 7.5, or foil on in deeper water - but I would also like to be able to get going at low wind speeds.

emgee

Post by emgee » Mon Dec 10, 2018 2:45 pm

I'm 68kgs. The biggest sail I use is a 7.2, but I'm much happier using a 6 or 5.5. I've mostly sailed it on a reservoir so it's pretty gusty. Just point it downwind in a gust, with one or two pumps, and then I'm usually good to go the length of the reservoir through the lulls. Can't tell you the accurate wind strength as I don't own an anenometer, but I find I'm flying when folks with 8.5 and big freeride boards are all failing to plane.

As far as my experiences go, I'm really enjoying have the back straps set well inboard. Effectively, my back foot feels like it is over the centre of the board and so I carve up and downwind like I'm snowboarding in powder. I haven't experienced any foil control issues as a result, but I'm not interested in chasing speed or racing. Just having fun, and usually I'm the only one ...

ronnie
Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 26 times

Post by ronnie » Fri Dec 21, 2018 7:53 pm

I started by getting a 2017 Zeeko foil and set about getting a Gecko 112 modified to have 2 10" US tracks. That ended up taking several months to be completed. The mounting area I had wanted to be flat, but it had the rocker of the board, so I couldn't use a tapered wedge to align the fuselage with the planing flat of the board and had to build a concave surface with Gorilla tape on the base of the foil. It required 3mm extra thickness at the rear edge of the base. I've since built 4 fibreglass ramps beside the boxes to create the flat base on the board for the foil. I took Zeeko's advice on where to place the tracks. I started with the foil at the back of the tracks and have ended up with the mast centred along the tracks. I'm using clear Gorilla tape on the rails as the board sits on its rails more often. I use the usual SUP helicopter tape on the rails of my SUP foil board.

I use Slingshot foot hooks for my back feet and they work well with the foil. I can get into them easily and out of them easily and there is a bigger area to place my rear foot on. You are more likely to catapult from the hook as you cannot save it unless it is a slower gentler one. I did twist a front foot in a front strap during a catapult, but my foot did come out, and I then realigned the front straps more fore and aft, very slightly wide and tight so not too much of my foot goes in. I'm not using much power foiling, so my foot doesn't get pushed in hard like it would when windsurfing the board. I can windsurf with the foot hooks, but it's not as comfortable as using straps. When windsurfing, my foot tends to get pushed in so the top of the hook is against my ankle. The convex tail of the Gecko made it difficult to mount the hooks, so I had to use 5mm thick plumbing washers and cut them to a wedge shape. I also drilled another hole in the hook and attached it with 3 screws to stop it rotating. These were earlier hooks - I think the latest ones might have an extra opening?
EDIT: Slingshot have now brought out shims to solve the problems I had to solve myself.

Because I'm old (71) and have a couple of back problems, my policy is that I am going to waterstart all the time and not pump the sail. I find that if the sail has just enough power to waterstart, it will probably have enough to get flying and be comfortable to foil with. That does reduce the ideal wind range for me. I haven't had any problems of kicking the foil.

UPDATE June 2019.
For the 105, my plan now is to use the NP Glide Wind Medium (1225) with 70cm strut/mast as the light wind foil and the Zeeko 910 as the stronger wind foil. I have bolted the Tuttle head onto the plate base of the Zeeko, with the 70cm mast. I also think I will be able to windsurf the 105 with a large weed fin. With the Large (1612) front wing, it felt the lift was a bit too far forward. The usual windfoil wing is the Glide Small (1032).
For the JP 103 SUP Surf Slate, I'm going to use the NP Surf fuselage with 65cm mast and both the Large and Medium wingsets. This strapless board handles less power and is more suited to going slower. I'm going to pursue a shorter mast as well as I think I can get more opportunities to foil if I can safely make use of large areas of shallow flat water in offshore winds. I'm also prepared to uphaul the 103 more.

Partly due to the wind being variable and on other occasions, underestimating how windy it was out on the water, I had some overpowered sessions (some way overpowered), on one occasion holding onto the boom, but putting an elbow through the sail. Now, if practical, I will sail without the foil first to check what sail size will just waterstart me, then put the foil on. The rails on the JP 105 Foil are not suitable for windsurfing, but I will try windsurfing it - even if just to assess sail size for foiling. It is a similar size to the Horue Tiny 95L, which can be windsurfed, and the rails in the back 30% look more like windsurf rails. The JP has a wide tail, so I guess the weed fin will move the centre of resistance aft and have slightly greater depth.
UPDATE:
I tried paddling the 105 foil board and it didn't work. Volume distribution is too much in the tail and the front footstraps are where your heels need to be. It paddles quite straight with the weed fin on though. I had to paddle it kneeling. Tried that for 10 minutes on the 10th Apr.
12th April - I tried windsurfing the 105 with the Lessacher Duo 320 weed fin and a 5.8m sail. I had the sail near the rear of the track. It didn't want to plane and wanted always to go upwind. I never could get it to go off the wind. I think it will be worth trying with the sail right at the front of the track next time, but it definitely doesn't volunteer to windsurf. When I did get it planing, it was only just planing and when I went for the rear strap, it turned even more upwind.
Update 2nd June. Tried the 105 with the weed fin and a 5.9m IQ. Positioned the sail at the middle of the track. For slogging, I found it best to keep my front foot no further forward than just in front of the front strap. I tried going to the front strap first, but weight was too far back. I found it best to get it trying to plane, then put the back foot in and lean forward to drive the nose off the wind to get it planing before putting the front foot in. Kept it off the wind a bit until it was planing fully and then it started to feel like a windsurf board. It felt quite fast and comfortable over the water. Even with the weed fin, it still feels like it wants to go upwind, so currently I have been sailing it using the rear strap and the mastbase, with my front foot mostly keeping the board flat. It gybes OK. I'm feeling more optimistic that it is windsurfable. Tried the 5.9 powered up with the recommended sail settings and the CoE moved back. I think I should have used the 5.4 and try to keep the CoE forward in the sail.
105 Lessacher DUO 320.jpg
105 Lessacher DUO 320.jpg (64.81 KiB) Viewed 41 times
21 April. Tried the 105 for the first time with the NP Large foil. Wind was steady but marginal for waterstarting with a 6.3m sail. I'm limiting how much work I give my arms as I can feel some effect on the left arm from the tennis elbow, but it seems that it is doing well - just gets a bit worked but recovers within 2 days, so I think it is looking good so far -it seems like it is just getting used to the repair being worked.
They recommend <5.5m and a max sail size of 6m for the board, and it felt like the sail was big when sailing along. I put the sail at the front of the track because I wanted to be able to get the board back on the water in case the big foil was lifting a lot. It stayed on the water with me (77kg) standing just in front of the straps. When I put the front foot in, it became controllable to let it glide or put it back down - nice and smooth. The sail was too far forward for sailing and foiling. It was also too far forward for waterstarting and made that difficult. The further back you have the sail, the easier it is to waterstart, because the lateral resistance is in the foil mast area. It tended to blow the nose downwind, and the V shaped rails probably encouraged that. It was easy enough to uphaul in the flatter water near the shore (where the wind was too light to waterstart - which put me off trying to foil much because I didn't want to have to do a lot of uphauling) but it was trickier when I sailed out about a mile and the waves were almost 1 foot high. Spent energy on quite a few close, but failed waterstarts and a couple of failed uphauls. It was also hard work swimming everything into place (much harder than with a windsurfer for some reason) and getting the sail clear of the water in the light wind. I will put the sail in the middle of the track the next time (and hope to use the 5.4m sail - maybe on the 22nd?).

The other board/foil I have been using is a JP 103 litre (219cm by 71cm) Slate windsup with 2 off 10" Futures type US type boxes. I use a 10mm wedge to align it to the 'planing' area of the board. My measurement was that 9mm would be correct, but the 10mm is working fine. Because of the big angle of the wedge, I have filed the upper surfaces of brass barrel T-nuts to angle the threads to match the upper surface of the wedge. With the NP plate the screw positions are 140 x 90mm (not the usual 165 x 90mm), I have bought 35mm countersunk SS M8 screws, and use them full length for the back screws and 1mm shorter for the front screws (to suit my boxes depths). When I foil it, I remove the other fins. To windSUP it I put a Futures SUP 9" fin in one of the foil tracks, to save on a lot of removing/replacing sup fins.
The photo is before trimming the wedge to match and with makeshift screws until I got the 35mm countersunk screws.
7 2 jp np surf large 65.jpg
7 2 jp np surf large 65.jpg (217.62 KiB) Viewed 52 times
UPDATE:
I am selling the IWA foil and replacing it with a NP Glide Surf with large wings and 65cm mast.
The GoFoil seems a bit agricultural for assembly, but as long as the fit is correct, it goes together nicely and comes apart OK too. The recommended Estwing 18oz Dead Head mallet is available in the UK. I used 2000 grit emery paper to get the fit just right. First of all, make sure the assembly surfaces (male and female) are very clean before doing any adjusting (no salt build up or sand etc.) On the male insert surfaces, I sanded on the flats lightly to level any flashing residue from the moulding and avoided sanding the corners. It was still slightly too tight a fit, so I sanded a minute amount off the corners, and the wing could then be thumped on and off with reasonable force. Don't brace bits of the foil against solid surfaces - carbon fibre is strong but doesn't like sharp impacts. If it feels like it is getting tighter to assemble, clean it to make sure there is no salt build up.
The carbon Groove adaptor is a perfect fit to the Gofoil IWA on a 24.5"mast (= 73cm total mast). It feels balanced with the foil at the back of the tracks. I've paddled it with the foil attached on flattish water and it's easy to paddle quite straight, more stable in terms of small wobbles, but because the foil has positive flotation from the front wing, if you get it leaning over enough, the flotation of the wing doesn't help. I don't intend to try SUPfoiling with a paddle but if the windwing idea works in the future, I might try that.
I'm foiling that one strapless. It lifts earlier with the IWA and its a bit more squirrely than the Zeeko windfoil, but you are travelling slower and there is more time to react, but it is more reactive, so I prefer using the Zeeko because it is a windfoil and things are smoother. There is something nice about foiling strapless though. I'm 74kg, and it's easy to uphaul my 6.3m sail on it if the wind drops and I have to slog back in.

I'm still at the stage of working on getting longer more controlled flights and currently have been off the water for about 6 weeks with an injury to my left arm (not foil related).
Because of lack of wind and strong tide, I've had to walk the foil and board back in the water over boulders for 400m. I had to walk in armpit deep water to avoid the boulders. I now disconnect the sail and turn the board upside down and slide the sail back until the 2 masts are touching if I have to walk the board back.

I got adjustable harness lines 24" to 28" and would use the short length with 4.5m and the long setting with 6.3m, but they started slipping, so I need to find harness lines that don't slip. I have some of those coloured plastic ones that I tried before. Maybe if I soften them up a bit to make adjusting them easier, they might work.

I use TefGel on the Zeeko Stainless screws. I've had 3 month gaps between connecting the mast to the fuselage and a 6 month gap on checking the screws for the wings to fuselage and they were all OK.

I tried my ION RDM mast protector with the 6.3m sail on the 105 foil board and it fits the mast but is 9" too high on the mast for contacting the board. I will move the sail back 3" the next time, but I will still need to move the ION down 6". It has a velcro strap at the top end which I fitted right at the bottom of the sail cut-out. I will have to attach a 6" extension from the velcro and loop the extension round the bottom of the cut-out.
Last edited by ronnie on Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:56 am, edited 24 times in total.

Duncan Adam
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 11 times

Post by Duncan Adam » Wed Jan 16, 2019 4:18 pm

Need to get more practice on the AFS 85 I have, hopefully this Friday at Portland Harbour.