foiling sails or not

Foiling related talk in here
deckchair
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 3 times

Re: foiling sails or not

Post by deckchair » Fri Apr 12, 2019 1:56 pm

there is another train of thought to buy bigger front wings instead of bigger sails? not really thought about the pro's and con's

Sailrepair
Been liked: 25 times

Post by Sailrepair » Fri Apr 12, 2019 7:48 pm

yes a bigger front wing can have the same effect, probably a bigger effect.

The main thing is to be realistic in your head as to what you are trying to achieve. Chasing getting going earlier and earlier is fine, I do it. But if you aim to fly in say 7kts of wind you have to remember if it is 7 kts it will also be 5 kts or less at times so you just float around waiting and getting into position for another gust. Some people just don't like it when they are not planing/flying but I quite like it as you get a real sense of achievement flying in nearly calm conditions like that. Nice in a summers evening, a bit keen on a rainy winters day.

Smidge
Has liked: 25 times
Been liked: 22 times

Post by Smidge » Sat Apr 13, 2019 8:43 am

I think thats right - if you go out in super light winds you cant expect to be up all of the time. So you need a board that is big enough to be mellow to shlog around on, and a chilled out mindset - look at the view, chat to other people on the water. I havent had enough experience of it yet to be sure, but i suspect a really big front wing and a moderate sized sail (eg 6.5 for me) is a more pleasant combination in such circs than struggling with a monster sail.

However i have a suspicion that the efficient race/freerace foils have an advantage if you have the skill/fitness to get them up in that the higher actual speed and apparent wind speed they allow with a big sail might give a better chance of getting through the lulls if you have the right technique

Coming back to the point of the thread, any views on if a Techno one design twin cam sail would be good for light wind foiling? They are optimised for lighter winds (in theory) and respond well to adjustable out and downhaul on the fly. I might try my daughters 7.8 in the summer.

Stev-0
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 4 times

Post by Stev-0 » Wed Apr 24, 2019 8:57 am

If you are into performance foiling and racing in light winds the Severne Hyperglide is virtually a one design class! I have got into foil racing down here in New Zealand and we get the top foiling racers in the world come down and train - like current double olympian and world cup RSX racers. At the NZ Foil Nationals nearly the entire fleet of 40+ sailors were on Starboard foils and and Severne sails - it's crazy. The 9.0 Hyperglide is the foil race sail of choice. I have the 8.0 Hyperglide (and I thought that was a big sail as I am a wave sailor) but the 9.0 flies a lot earlier than the 8.0 in gusty winds or below 12knots. I am not used to cammed sails and have been amazed at the top end stability of my 8.0 which is probably 25knots!

RodBos

Post by RodBos » Fri Apr 26, 2019 11:39 am

I feel to some extent you can adapt a standard cam sail into a foiling sail as long as it has an inherent easy cam rotation.
I’ve got a few np v8’s which rotate really easily .. although they needed a high carbon content mast. I’ve steadily started to back off on the downhaul to get the leech tighter to improve the pump ability.
I’ve combined this with a high aspect 1000 front wing and it’s transformed my light wind foiling.
My only other option - but more expensive option - was to go to a Severne hyperglide 9 m as it seems to be the most easily available race foil sail on the market at the moment.