foiling sails or not

Foiling related talk in here
deckchair
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 3 times

foiling sails or not

Post by deckchair » Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:24 am

summer is just round the corner so big sails are being required! Got to be twin cam .I really haven't brought into the idea that its free ride man .This may work on maui but in the uk i am not happy when some one blasts pass me . So to the point Sailworks Flyer or Ezzy lion ?

Sailrepair
Been liked: 25 times

Re: foiling sails or not

Post by Sailrepair » Tue Apr 09, 2019 12:30 pm

Severne turbo

deckchair

Post by deckchair » Tue Apr 09, 2019 12:43 pm

nice but why?

Sailrepair

Post by Sailrepair » Tue Apr 09, 2019 1:19 pm

I started with severne overdrives and they worked well but the often required "double pump" to rotate the 3 cams was one pump to many to manage to keep flying round a gybe. So I changed to turbos and their easier rotation helps when gybeing. And since you are not challenging the sails top end when foiling the turbo is more than stable enough.

I quite like the look of the sailworks flyer but have never seen one in the flesh. The ezzy has nice depth to the sail body but the leech looks a bit loose for my liking.

I am on my second set of Turbos and have a 6.5, 7.5 and 8.6. Below that I change onto my wave sails. But I have decided to make a 5.8 foil specific sail and I am half way through making it.

I think foiling is quite hard on sails. If you separate board from rig in the water, by the time you get your board ashore the rig is washing in the shallows. Then there is the uphauling which doesn't half mangle the foot of the sail.

deckchair

Post by deckchair » Tue Apr 09, 2019 2:46 pm

thanks for your input SailR . I am leaning towards the flyer, two reasons . 1st my wife also foils better than me but when we get into big rigs weight starts to come into play . the flyer is twin cam 5 batten where as the ezzy and Severne are 7 batten. 2nd the flyer is designed for the job . I would like to hear more about your 5.8 sounds interesting

Sailrepair

Post by Sailrepair » Tue Apr 09, 2019 3:33 pm

Yes you should always try to look at the weight of foiling sails. 7.0 flyer is 3.8 kg and the 7.0 turbo is 4.4kg (6 battens)

At the moment I just have the body of my sail made, it is 5.8 with 5 battens and one cam. I will use it in quite a bit of wind so it will be quite full to try and steady it in the gusty winds I normally foil in.

deckchair

Post by deckchair » Wed Apr 10, 2019 7:00 am

one thing i forgot to ask SailR .Do you use an adjustable outhaul?

Sailrepair

Post by Sailrepair » Wed Apr 10, 2019 7:22 am

deckchair wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 7:00 am
one thing i forgot to ask SailR .Do you use an adjustable outhaul?
I have tried them but I didn't like it. My main problem with the system is that when the wind is light and you let off some downhaul you have some sack at the clew so when you pump the sail there is movement between the boom end and the sail clew. In light winds I prefer to use less outhaul but set the boom shorter to maintain a direct boom to sail connection.

Also for foiling I tend not to bag the sail out too much because of the high apparent wind. In a way I think it is best to have foil sails the opposite way round to normal sails ie big light wind sails should be relatively flat because you will go at twice the wind speed but small foil sails should be relatively full because a bit of fullness helps the sail settle in higher winds. The last thing you want is a small flat as a board wave sail in gusty winds as they are too twitchy which makes height control that bit harder.

Also if you use a adjustable outhaul you will probably want to put some stickers on your sail where it will rub on the cleats on the boom arms.

Having said all the above I do know people who use adjustable outhauls and would not be without them, they are just not for me.

deckchair

Post by deckchair » Wed Apr 10, 2019 8:46 am

yes this is the interesting thing with foiling . it has to have lots of low end grunt to get you on the foil but once there it needs to change to a much more efficient shape . i think this has to be done with an adjustable outhaul. i have done a small amount of formula sailing .It was a real light bulb moment adding one . It gave us another complete gear.

Sailrepair

Post by Sailrepair » Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:01 am

Some cammed sails just go blunt at the front if you slacken things off (not good) others will have increased draft further back but maintain a reasonable efficient leading edge. So I guess the adjustable outhaul will work better with some sails compared to others.

A friend I sail with uses his adj outhaul a lot, he tightens it if he sees a gust coming and slackens it for every lull. He uses it to such a extent he is nearly sheeting in and out with his outhaul rather than his boom. He is a very quick sailor.