Slingshot Hover Glide FWIND 2019 - an idiots experience

Foiling related talk in here
Smidge
Has liked: 25 times
Been liked: 23 times

Slingshot Hover Glide FWIND 2019 - an idiots experience

Post by Smidge » Fri Apr 05, 2019 8:44 pm

I finally got chance to try my new Slingshot foil today.

I havent been foiling for over 6 months and had only used my NP pink foil maybe 6 times or so - never really feeling i had got fully through the beginner learning curve or getting fully settled and starting to suspect that the foil wasnt big enough for 90kg of me and my lousy pumping technique. But i was really enjoying it, mainly blaming my struggles on lack of competence and lack of enough practice

Today therefore felt a bit scary after such a long break and on new gear - like first time again, so i re read everything i could find online to get some confidence back.

I foil on an ancient Starboard F155, 85cm wide. I had felt there was a problem with it in that the back strap isnt far enough back relative to the tuttle box - if you look at dedicated foil board versus normal boards you will see what i mean. I always felt that i needed to pull up in my front strap to acheive balance. Therefore i have recently moved the back straps forward and stuck on a cut up surfboard kick pad (with a big hooked lump of rubber at the back) so i can go strapless with my back foot right at the back of the board with no chance of slipping off the back. I hoped this change and the new foil with massive front wing would suit 90kg of me better.

And the short answer is that it was a revelation. Any sort of real pull in my 5.7 was enough to acheive take off and i only once dropped off the foil due to a very low lull - once up you just stay up until you f**k up. And when you over foil it it somehow doesnt dump you like you walked into a lift shaft - it flicks out at the back (seemingly) and comes down fairly smoothly (maybe due to shorter mast or as back stabiliser broke out first and front wing is so big it cant go down through water fast). I was almost immediately getting some sustained non terrifying flights that allowed me time to figure out what wasnt right and fix it:

Back foot over front tuttle box is where it needs to be for take off and frankly it can stay there until you get really powered up

Adjusting my lines to much less than my normal 32’s made a huge difference

Once flying almost ignore the sail, focus on the horizon and concentrate on feet. As you get up swing your weight (not the sail) towards front foot and so on. Weight distribution over feet very different to blasting windsurfing (weight pushing down not sideways, very front foot focused as wind increases - maybe that changes as i get better). Slingshot advised that the front wing needs to be between your feet. I think you need to think about the front wing being like the pivot point of a seesaw - that visualisation helped a lot.

Never unhook whilst up - the release of mast foot pressure makes you overfoil...

The relatively short mast that comes with the standard slingshot package is positioned as perfect for beginners - but by the end of my session i was craving to be on the longer 90cm mast (gives you more room for error, but more consequence when the error occurs). I already got one, but if buying new (mine was second hand) and if you already have some foiling experience it might be worth asking the dealer to swap it out for the longer one.

Position B for the mast into the fuselage seemed to work fine.

maker
Has liked: 17 times
Been liked: 6 times

Re: Slingshot Hover Glide FWIND 2019 - an idiots experience

Post by maker » Sat Apr 06, 2019 2:15 pm

I windsurf but never foiled, and maybe you can answer question:
Slingshot say "Moving your straps back will result in more lift and less need for front foot pressure. Moving them forward results in more need for front foot pressure and allows for higher speeds, more aggressive riding and on-foil transitions. "
If are sailing balanced and move straps back I thought you would need more front foot pressure to stay balanced, not less as Slingshot say?
https://www.foil-academy.com/courses/ta ... foil-setup

AlexF
Been liked: 10 times

Post by AlexF » Sat Apr 06, 2019 7:13 pm

maker wrote:
Sat Apr 06, 2019 2:15 pm
I windsurf but never foiled, and maybe you can answer question:
Slingshot say "Moving your straps back will result in more lift and less need for front foot pressure. Moving them forward results in more need for front foot pressure and allows for higher speeds, more aggressive riding and on-foil transitions. "
If are sailing balanced and move straps back I thought you would need more front foot pressure to stay balanced, not less as Slingshot say?
https://www.foil-academy.com/courses/ta ... foil-setup
Seems like a typo what Slingshot is telling.
You have the right logic conclusion.
Alex

Smidge

Post by Smidge » Wed Apr 10, 2019 6:08 pm

Out again today. Used a 6.5 gator this time and moved on to the 90cm mast. Massive wind variation from 3 knots to 17. Longer mast made a huge difference - only overfoiled once and that was a fairly benign rate of descent, despite being fully powered Basically longer mast gives you far more room for error and time to realise whats going wrong and correct it.

Also used the back straps today when fully powered up. Its in the in board and forward position (its either that or very outboard and a little further back). When fully powered it felt good - its good to have weight balanced forward of the mast when really lit up on such a massive front wing. But getting up and coping with marginal or very varied winds strapless with foot over fin bolt still felt best.

I even tentatively tried and completely failed at gybe for first time.

Smidge

Post by Smidge » Sat Apr 27, 2019 8:51 pm

A great day yesterday on the foil. Feeling like im getting it dialed in a bit more now - some very long runs and some directional control - but still not really relaxing so tiring quickly. I was on a 5.7 blade rigged very full, when most others were on anything from 6.5 to 9.6 (foilers and conventional). I think im now past the beginner stage and getting into intermediate.

Im not sure how it does it, but i am continuing to be amazed by the way the slingshot very rarely dumps you horrifically when you foil out. The Np pink one seemed to most often feel like you were a puppet whose strings had been cut - not always leading to a crash but always to a scary moment, whereas the slingshot just seems to flick a little and descend rapidly but smoothly. I had no overfoiling crashes today. 90cm mast is also fantastic - gives lots of time to respond to going too high.

Farnorthsurfer
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 5 times

Post by Farnorthsurfer » Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:28 am

I started out with the NP Alu pink foil and moved on to the AFS W85 and now also have a Slingshot Infinity 84 for SUP Foiling and light wind windfoiling.

Pretty much agree with everything that has been said here about the NP foil attributes and would add that the original is a scary beast to crash with as well with its pointy daggers. The AFS and Slingshot are both much safer with rounded tips, especially for beginners. Always a bad idea to kick the damn things though.

My Infinity also has a very benign response to over foiling which with the short 70cm mast and big lift happens quite easily. It has the shorter fuselage which makes it less stable in pitch but very responsive in the turns. Would like to try the longer switch fuse but seem to be getting used to it now.
Overpowering the Infinity means not actually being able to get far enough forward on the board/weight to keep it in the water resulting in un-commanded gust ejections.
Also at slow speeds it seems possible to 'spin out' the whole foil and it starts travelling sideways, recovery is much like normal spin out recovery only in slow motion. I think this is too much power side loading before there is enough speed in the foil to establish proper lift.

Really useful to read the experiences of others, thanks, as there is no one up here to compare notes with at the beach.
Minor point, I really wish the foil mast was renamed a 'pylon' as having two masts in one equipment set is just confusing :)

ronnie
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 29 times

Post by ronnie » Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:50 am

Wyatt Miller giving some insights to the differences of using the larger Slingshot wings.
The most common use instead of 'mast' for the vertical bit of the foil is 'strut'. maybe we should use that (on here at least - to avoid confusion?).

Smidge

Post by Smidge » Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:48 am

Which rear wing are you using with the 84 front wing? I really recommend buying a 90cm strut/mast - makes a big difference. I heard that they now ship the package with 90cm as standard (dont rely on that...)

Farnorthsurfer

Post by Farnorthsurfer » Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:38 am

My rear wing on the Infinity 84 is the larger 48cm one that comes with the FSUP set up. So short fuselage and big rear wing/big rear wing.
The plan is to also use it for SUP surf and downwinding in the Moray Firth if I ever get the nerve/ability up.

https://www.slingshotsports.com/2019-Ho ... -FSUP-Foil

I don't really want the longer 'strut' (mast) as I have the the AFS W85 in addition to the infinity and when its windier I would be on that.
When I windfoil the Infinity its usually pretty flat on the surface.

Farnorthsurfer

Post by Farnorthsurfer » Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:41 am

Also agree with what @Sailrepair says about longer struts (masts) putting more load on the foil mount, the extra leverage of a 90cm mast with the Infinity 84 would be massive.