Foiling related talk in here
ronnie
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 29 times

Re: Windfoil Sails.

Post by ronnie » Tue Apr 30, 2019 2:54 pm

Jamesblonde wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2019 9:43 am
Early suggestions that one of these could be £800. They are using kite tech and basi g it on a 4m kite costs this much hence the price.
I'm not quite sure what I make of it yet except that for my 20mins behind a mates jet ski on my foil compared to this looks like tricky goes to ridiculously tricky. :shock:
Getting closer to home - this is Nik Baker trying the Duotone wing.

For me, I would need a wing that went upwind well and had a very good power to size ratio. My guess is that the Sail type wing would have the best potential for that. The Sail type wing Sky was using in the other video is a 3 metre. Although some inflatable wings will be available within a couple of months, I am not expecting to be likely to buy a wing until next year.

deckchair
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 3 times

Post by deckchair » Tue Apr 30, 2019 3:16 pm

I am not turning up at my local beach with one of the those wing things .The G.O.T 's wouldn't stop laughing and taking the P .My view, should be consigned to Davey jones locker

Sailrepair

Post by Sailrepair » Thu May 09, 2019 11:52 am

I have just finished my foils sail. I guess it is 5.8 (can't be bothered measuring it)
This will be for 15-25 kts of wind. I wanted quite a full sail as I feel a full sail helps settle the board/foil in turbulent winds which I get a lot of and the high apparent winds are not so great in the wind strengths I will use it in. It rotates very easily, the cam is there mainly to "pre fill" the sail rather than lock stability.

Set full it has a tight leech

Set flat it is soft about half way across at the head

ronnie
Has liked: 13 times

Post by ronnie » Thu May 09, 2019 12:38 pm

Hi Sailrepair,

That's an interesting choice to go for a single cam on the bottom batten.

BTB
Has liked: 24 times
Been liked: 11 times

Post by BTB » Thu May 09, 2019 11:14 pm

ronnie wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2019 2:54 pm
Jamesblonde wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2019 9:43 am
Early suggestions that one of these could be £800. They are using kite tech and basi g it on a 4m kite costs this much hence the price.
I'm not quite sure what I make of it yet except that for my 20mins behind a mates jet ski on my foil compared to this looks like tricky goes to ridiculously tricky. :shock:
Getting closer to home - this is Nik Baker trying the Duotone wing.

For me, I would need a wing that went upwind well and had a very good power to size ratio. My guess is that the Sail type wing would have the best potential for that. The Sail type wing Sky was using in the other video is a 3 metre. Although some inflatable wings will be available within a couple of months, I am not expecting to be likely to buy a wing until next year.
That looks awful. That stance is doing nothing for him there. I'm not tempted by these at all.

BTB

Post by BTB » Thu May 09, 2019 11:19 pm

Sailrepair wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 11:52 am
I have just finished my foils sail. I guess it is 5.8 (can't be bothered measuring it)
This will be for 15-25 kts of wind. I wanted quite a full sail as I feel a full sail helps settle the board/foil in turbulent winds which I get a lot of and the high apparent winds are not so great in the wind strengths I will use it in. It rotates very easily, the cam is there mainly to "pre fill" the sail rather than lock stability.

Set full it has a tight leech

Set flat it is soft about half way across at the head
Great looking sail. When i first saw the thread I thought why would you need a special sail but i guess you need to work at lower speeds and lose leech is not so critical.

I get the lower camb as well. If the forces are lower you need the sail to take shape from neutral. I would think a long boom would help though - keep it balanced when you need to focus on the flying and not a twitchy rig.

Sailrepair

Post by Sailrepair » Fri May 10, 2019 6:59 am

Fair point on the boom length. The sail above this one in my quiver has a 185 boom length so I wanted a logical step down. Also I have my hands much further forward on the boom when foiling which gives me more sensitivity to sheeting angles.

I have now weighed the sail at 3.28kg

BTB

Post by BTB » Fri May 10, 2019 8:25 am

Sailrepair wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 6:59 am
Fair point on the boom length. The sail above this one in my quiver has a 185 boom length so I wanted a logical step down. Also I have my hands much further forward on the boom when foiling which gives me more sensitivity to sheeting angles.

I have now weighed the sail at 3.28kg
That is very light. Looks tough as nails as well.

Interested to hear how it goes.

deckchair
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 3 times

Post by deckchair » Wed May 22, 2019 12:54 pm

very nice sailrepair which mast did you build it round ? have you tired it yet?

Sailrepair

Post by Sailrepair » Wed May 22, 2019 2:45 pm

deckchair wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 12:54 pm
very nice sailrepair which mast did you build it round ? have you tired it yet?
Being the Maverx importer it is designed for the MX100 which is a constant curve rdm. I don't think the sail will be too mast critical.

Unfortunately no enough wind to try it. It has all been big sail weather.

I have just taken the luff sleeve off my 3 batten 5.0 and recut the luff curve to add a cam on it. Now I have to put it all back together. I am a bit unsure how it will turn out.

As soon as I use the 5.8 I will report back.