Has liked: 22 times
Been liked: 31 times

Re: Right of way on a wav

Post by Max » Tue Jun 23, 2020 9:02 am

TwoFish wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 8:40 am
Max wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 8:27 am
In a busy wave spot you will often hear people shouting at each other as too who is taking the wave
Trouble is, we can never quite hear what the other guy is shouting over the wind and wave noise :)

I do quite like the 'very British' wave situations Maker descibed though. 'Oops, sorry, your wave Sir. No really, after you. No, I insist. Sorry, after you'. That can get interesting in international situations when that approach meets those who are used to more strict applications of rules or alternatively those from more 'flambouyant and passionate' cultures (no stereotyping here then ;-) ). I think the best solution there must be 'Britannia rules the waves' and the Red Ensign / K number has right of way ;) .
And thats how we ended up with Brexit !

Ruaraidh_K257
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 105 times

Post by Ruaraidh_K257 » Tue Jun 23, 2020 10:47 am

BillG wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 8:19 am
As I'm always telling Ruaraidh, young kids have to get out of the f**cking way of us geriatrics!
Ha ha ha
16, Scottish wavesailor, sponsored by - Neil Pryde, JP Australia, K4Fins, Wild Diamond Tiree

Ruaraidh_K257
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 105 times

Post by Ruaraidh_K257 » Tue Jun 23, 2020 10:51 am

The one thing is there was a huge dispute in the Aloha Classic this year about rules of waveriding which almost cost Ricardo Campello his world title (he ended up losing it anyway but that’s beside the point)

Apparently Jake Schettewi had been told it was the IWT priority rules for the contest which is the upwind/who’s on it first thing that’s already been explained in this thread. But Ricardo had been told it was the PWA rules which is whoever tacks first gets the wave, and so they both ended up on the same wave. This caused a dispute on the water and a fight off the water.

But Ricardo was cleared of wrongdoing because the PWA rules were the ones that were meant to be in force, but nobody has told jake that :?

Personally I tend to always assume I’m in the wrong about priority - except when I’m sailing with Bill and the Tiree crew, every man for himself there!! - and so I end up giving lots of waves away even if they might actually be mine. This works fine in places with the British no you first thing but I discovered after a few days sailing in Cape Town you’ll just get walked over by everyone so you have to just go for the waves you know are yours.
16, Scottish wavesailor, sponsored by - Neil Pryde, JP Australia, K4Fins, Wild Diamond Tiree

ronnie
Has liked: 73 times
Been liked: 91 times

Post by ronnie » Tue Jun 23, 2020 11:18 am

WetSoot wrote:
Mon Jun 22, 2020 11:13 pm
rod wrote:
Mon Jun 22, 2020 10:19 pm
Sailing in / out priority: the person sailing out has priority
Eg
You are riding a wave in about to make a bottom turn. A sailor on their way out is slightly downwind of you and in the way. If they don't move your wave ride will be ruined.
Tough, they are on the way out (navigating whitewater etc) it is their priority, you must avoid them.
Yep.... but its also equally bad form to get in the way outbound unnecessarily.... eg, if a little freeing off, or heading up is practical (it isn’t always, perhaps when wind is fluky, or its dumping a bit), then courtesy suggests you do so.... standing on for the sake of it, even if technically in the right, won’t win you friends IME
Yes - the wave rules are for proper waves, where there is real risk on the way out. They don't apply if you can get out over the waves at almost any place you choose but decide to go out where you would be in someone's way when they are riding a wave.
eg. you can't call wave rules in a starboard tack situation just because there are waves.

rod
Has liked: 270 times
Been liked: 159 times

Post by rod » Tue Jun 23, 2020 5:41 pm

TwoFish wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 7:49 am
Yep, there is the 'when is a wave a wave?' issue. Much as I thrive on the fine details of rules (I'm a tax accountant), I'm not sure the strict application of rules is always the right way to deal with that situation. I tend to ride swells from a long way out, but I don't think that necessarily guarantees me the exclusive rights to all of them, not least as things would just get silly if whoever sailed out furthest always owned the waves. Sharing is called for:
The rules are really for groundswell type spots with dtl riding. In onshore people rarely ride dtl anyway, or at least not for more than a couple of turns.

PK1111
Has liked: 258 times
Been liked: 92 times

Post by PK1111 » Tue Jun 23, 2020 6:20 pm

The windsurfing rules are aligned to long boarding surfing rules, so the first riding the wave has priority.

These differ significantly from the short boarding surfing rules where the surfer that takes off closest to the peak has priority.
Mostly, short and long surfers don’t come into conflict as they tend to ride different waves.

This is only an issue as kiters use short board rules, and they expect to have priority if they tack or gybe and take off near the bowl, even if someone else is on the wave before them, but down wind / wave.

I’ve fallen foul of irate kiters in many an offshore location, and largely had to abide by “locals rules”.
We won’t reach agreement with them, the rules are incompatible, but give respect and you’ll usually get it back.

maker
Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 16 times

Post by maker » Tue Jun 23, 2020 7:53 pm

Ruaraidh_K257 wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 10:51 am
........ the upwind/who’s on it first thing that’s already been explained ......
I thought the rule highlighted in this post was downwind had priority in DLT?

Jeroensurf
Has liked: 29 times
Been liked: 52 times

Post by Jeroensurf » Wed Jun 24, 2020 9:43 am

PK1111 wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 6:20 pm
The windsurfing rules are aligned to long boarding surfing rules, so the first riding the wave has priority.

These differ significantly from the short boarding surfing rules where the surfer that takes off closest to the peak has priority.
Mostly, short and long surfers don’t come into conflict as they tend to ride different waves.
a lot of those arses on too tiny boards only seem to bend the rules that way if they can,t catch more waves as others. They often don,t need much of an excuse to drop in a front of you no matter how many waves they already got....at least that is my experience with them on a rather tiny sup in steep waves (105l while i,m 95kg+suit etc).
(so that is a great relieve to get of my chest :D )