No Unnecessary Travel.

Chat about stuff that doesn't fall into the other categories here.
DavidA
Been liked: 16 times

Re: No Unnecessary Travel.

Post by DavidA » Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:17 am

Judging by the date this thread was put up I now understand why we are in lockdown. No unnecessary travel was already in place before the latest lockdown had been for over a week but everybody chose to ignore it.
We live by the coast where people go on holiday and some seemed to think it was acceptable to travel from London last week to come down here on holiday!!!!

DavidA
Been liked: 16 times

Post by DavidA » Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:29 am

I get where you are coming from PK1111 its very difficult to fathom. Not sure what could be built to protect the 5% any ideas?
Regarding 1% dead is that of the population or those who contract it?
It is interesting that Japans figures are low and they are not in total lockdown people still working in Tokyo and restaurants still open. I am guessing a more polite and compliant society willing to follow rules coupled with less contact, bowing instead of handshakes. They also have a tendency to wear masks and the taxi drivers wear gloves.

Hazzabee
Has liked: 39 times
Been liked: 74 times

Post by Hazzabee » Wed Mar 25, 2020 10:07 am

PK the current guidance seems to be that 80% of cases will be "mild". This means hospitalization won't be required. By all accounts it can still result in feeling horrifically unwell for several days or weeks. Furthermore even if you recover the long term effects of any associated chronic lung damage are not yet known. Not worth taking the risk IMHO.

rod
Has liked: 162 times
Been liked: 94 times

Post by rod » Wed Mar 25, 2020 10:15 am

DavidA wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:29 am
I get where you are coming from PK1111 its very difficult to fathom. Not sure what could be built to protect the 5% any ideas?
By following the models that have so far worked the best so far - in S Korea, Taiwan and China:
Temperature testing everywhere (in Taiwan its on the plane before you disembark). In China its everywhere, before you go in a building, get on public transport and so on.
If your temp is over then you are sent to testing facility. Tests are done on the spot in 4hrs.

All the countries that have done this had the system / knowledge in place from their SARs experience. I guess we will learn, but too slowly. I see that Germany and Spain are starting to use drive-in testing facilities.

rod
Has liked: 162 times
Been liked: 94 times

Post by rod » Wed Mar 25, 2020 10:17 am

Compare this
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... 9-italy-vo

To our current Gov approach where tests are still not being made routinely available for NHS workers
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-51943612

Hazzabee
Has liked: 39 times
Been liked: 74 times

Post by Hazzabee » Wed Mar 25, 2020 10:59 am

An account from a MP who has recently recovered.

https://www.theargus.co.uk/news/1833292 ... oronavirus
I understand as I’ve just come out of 14 days’ isolation after contracting Covid-19.

Now the whole country needs to treat itself like they have the virus and lock down for three weeks. The exceptions above must be that, exceptions.

When I first came down with the virus it hit me immediately. Sweats, headache, backache, muscle ache and a sore throat.

This all came on within 30 minutes during a meeting on foreign policy as the new shadow foreign minister.

As soon as I felt it, I left and went home.

But what happened next?

I lay in bed for eight nights, never quite managing to get to sleep due to pain.

I had a tight chest and shallow breathing.

I went through shivers which I couldn’t shift for hours which would then become hot sweats.

It was unpleasant but after nine nights it left as quickly as it came.

The fever passed, I was finally able to sleep through the night.

Now after 14 days since the symptoms started, I have been given the all clear.

I have a tickly intermittent cough, which I’m told will last a few weeks and is non-infectious.

I was lucky.

While I have HIV, I am undetectable, and my immune system is healthy.

Some of my colleagues are still ill, some have lost all sense of smell and taste and we don’t know if it will ever come back.

One person I met many times, Michael Gerard from Leicester, passed away with the virus on Sunday, leaving a wife, children and grandchildren.

We cannot be complacent, because if we are many more will die.

ronnie
Has liked: 42 times
Been liked: 66 times

Post by ronnie » Wed Mar 25, 2020 11:38 am

DavidA wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:17 am
Judging by the date this thread was put up I now understand why we are in lockdown. No unnecessary travel was already in place before the latest lockdown had been for over a week but everybody chose to ignore it.
We live by the coast where people go on holiday and some seemed to think it was acceptable to travel from London last week to come down here on holiday!!!!
You are right David - the first instruction of ‘Now is the time for everyone to stop non-essential contact with others and to stop all unnecessary travel,’ was on the 16th of March.

ronnie
Has liked: 42 times
Been liked: 66 times

Post by ronnie » Wed Mar 25, 2020 11:56 am

PK1111 wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 8:28 am
Happy to self isolate and work from home at the moment as shoulder is fubar after a snow boarding accident in Feb half term.
They shut the gym and pool though which is an almighty pain.

And before anyone jumps on their high horse, we need to remember that 95% of sufferers will only experience mild symptoms.
5% will need hospitalisation and 1% will die, which is the national average anyway. 2,000 people die in the UK every day.

Knowing that, a total lockdown is not going to survive long in the uk, and we should use the time wisely to build solutions to protect the 5% until we develop herd immunity or develop a vaccine.

I’m looking forward to a slow return to normality in the summer. 😇

And if you feel this is not a responsible position to take, then feel free to dispute with factual evidence and considered argument.
I laugh and make fun of ranters.
The UK is about the same population as Italy. Italy started with 12.5 ICU beds per 100.000 people, the UK started with 6.6 per 100,000.
Italy has an ICU ventilator manufacturer and they have been switched to maximum production for a while. The UK doesn't have a ICU ventilator manufacturer, and we have a shortage of ventilators.

The UK only has enough testing capability to test people with convincing symptoms and has decided to test patients and not test medical staff until they get seriously ill. There has been no increase in the testing capabilities in the last week, and the government haven't answered as to when they will actually be able to increase the testing.
Up to yesterday, 24 Italian doctors have died from Coronavirus, and 4,824 health care workers have been infected.
https://www.sbs.com.au/news/these-are-t ... s-pandemic

By reducing the spread of the virus, we save other people's lives. We might even save our own, or someone we love.
https://www.worldometers.info/coronavir ... try/italy/

We could be like Italy starting in 2 weeks. It depends a lot on how much the virus spreads.

K-215
Been liked: 5 times

Post by K-215 » Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:14 pm

https://www.forbes.com/sites/daviddawki ... 81590c7607

Dyson waffles from his £ 50 million penthouse in Singapore and Nick Grey just builds them :o

PhilN
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 15 times

Post by PhilN » Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:14 pm

Get a bang on the head, need intensive care? I wouldn't want to turn up for a few stitches in my foot at the moment.

Under 70s probably wont die from this (some will), but might require critical hospital care to survive. Like than young marathon running.

Some more statistics.

Poole A&E has been closed (or in the process of being close) and moved to Bournemouth. The plan is for Poole to be non emergency, but they might still have critical care beds there.
Dorset County hospital seems a large hospital, until you look at the number of critical beds they have.

There are other hospitals in Dorset, but I haven't looked up how many critical care beds they have.
Last Sunday there was a bad RTA in Weymouth. I died at the scene and another air lifted to Southampton General with life threatening injuries.

Dorset County hospital.

https://www.dchft.nhs.uk/patients/wards ... puq4wnumkQ

Intensive Care Unit (ICU)
Critical Care: Intensive Care and High Dependency
The Critical Care Unit (CrCU) at Dorset County Hospital has two areas:

Intensive Care Unit (ICU)
The Intensive Care Unit provides intensive and high–dependency services for up to four critically ill patients. It is situated on Level 2 in the hospital’s South Wing. Please follow the signs from the South 1 entrance.

High Dependency Unit (HDU)
The High Dependency Unit can take up to five patients who need a high level of medical and nursing care for a variety of reasons. The High Dependency Unit is situated on Level 2, South Wing.

Bournemouth Hospital

https://www.rbch.nhs.uk/index.php?id=1126

Our Critical Care Unit is made up of our Intensive Care Unit (ICU) and High Dependency Unit (HDU); together comprising a total of 12 critical care beds.

Timo posted he isn't going sailing via the PWA FB page.
Anyone know Ben Page? He is a wave sailor and most on here are too so might recognise the name. He posted this on one of the FB windsurf forums.
Bens plea a.jpg
Guess its up to individuals to decide whether to go sailing.

Edit. To add a bit of context to Ben's FB post, it was his response in a thread about is anyone going windsurfing as their 1 allowed for of exercise. Most said no, a few said why shouldn't I. Some living next to the beach said they are still going, I wont stand close to anyone, I never need rescuing, I never get injured, its low risk, I fall off my bike more etc etc.