No Unnecessary Travel.

Chat about stuff that doesn't fall into the other categories here.
TwoFish
Has liked: 95 times
Been liked: 40 times

Re: No Unnecessary Travel.

Post by TwoFish » Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:36 pm

DavidA wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:17 am
Judging by the date this thread was put up I now understand why we are in lockdown. No unnecessary travel was already in place before the latest lockdown had been for over a week but everybody chose to ignore it.
For clarity, I'm not sure that's at all the case with those who have posted here, or indeed with those windsurfers who have contributed to similar discussions on Facebook and elsewhere. The contributions I have seen have generally seemed sensible to me and supportive of cautious behaviour in the interests of all. I haven't seen any "won't stop me" stuff that I can recall from any windsurfers.

TOTD
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 36 times

Post by TOTD » Wed Mar 25, 2020 2:31 pm

The tv news is depressing. The hoarding is disgusting.
I’m in the hopefully best medical country. US. My visits to the best hospital within 1000 miles , are scary.

It’s not the number or percentage of deaths , it is about someone contracting the virus who has an underlying condition, from a reckless person.

My Granddaughter works in a Cambridge, UK hospital .

I’m worried about 3 rd world countries, with a lack of anything medical .
K4 4Boards Tri Sails,and Chocolate Chip cookies
Ibuprofen, Irish Whiskey

Jeff
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 6 times

Post by Jeff » Wed Mar 25, 2020 2:32 pm

I live close to the beach, but not on it and a quick before or after work session would usually be great, but for me it isn't worth it now and this thread has been useful.

I suspect that beaches will be closed soon. Reports from people trying to go for a quick solitary sea swim as their exercise and returning to their towel to find families setting up camp and certainly refusing to move or social distance, "get a life" being one of the politer responses. They have no idea what is going on in the hospitals less than a mile away.

On the positive side I have an old board set up outside as a windsurf SIM and plenty of mags for armchair windsurfing, perhaps might try some armchair windfoiling too.

rod
Has liked: 163 times
Been liked: 94 times

Post by rod » Wed Mar 25, 2020 2:50 pm

TOTD wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 2:31 pm
My Granddaughter works in a Cambridge, UK hospital .
Hope she is ok TOTD.

TOTD

Post by TOTD » Wed Mar 25, 2020 8:09 pm

Thanks Rod , She is good. Working in a children’s cancer ward, Taking all plus more precautions.
She was coming for a visit in June, hardy likely now.

My thought for the day.
You learned how to wash your hands.
Now work on your turn signals
Ibuprofen, Irish Whiskey

toto
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 5 times

Post by toto » Thu Mar 26, 2020 12:06 pm

I'm not sure I entirely follow the logic here. I and my family are 100% complying and staying at home the entire time and have been for 2 weeks, and will continue to do so. I also get very cross when I see people mingling. I would also say I am in the vulnerable group, with asthma and a couple of bouts of pneumonia recently, so quite apart from doing the right thing for the elderly etc, I am also quite nervous personally about C19. If I get in the car and drive myself 30min to an unbusy beach, rig up, windsurf for an hour and come straight home, I can easily do this without coming any where near anyone (let alone within 2metres) at any point. I am far more likely to come in to closer contact with more people on an officially sanctioned 30min run round my local park. I absolutely get driving to the beach is "Unnecessary Travel", but so what? The "unnecessary travel" edict is purely about reducing stopping social interaction, especially between people from different geographical areas. But the scenario I describe involves zero contact. What am I missing? Apart from it being seen as not being 'the right thing' to do in time of national crises. But as the govt has said, we should all take exercise to keep our mental sanity etc, and a windsurfing session keeps me mentally going for days after, even in 'normal' life. Having said all this, there is consensus about not going windsurfing so out of respect I probably won't. I just don't quite understand though.

Aardvark

Post by Aardvark » Thu Mar 26, 2020 1:08 pm

1. We are all in it together. Not going sailing as you live close to the beach is a small declaration of solidarity to all those who live in built up areas and stuck not being allowed.out of their flats. Suck it up.

2. Any uneccesary risk is unacceptable. Why? Cos if you smash your car up, or lacerate your foot on some glass and need medical attention then you will be taking attention away from what could very soon be an overwhelmed health service

Stay the f*** home, don't do risky things and don't be a c***.

FKPhil
Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 33 times

Post by FKPhil » Thu Mar 26, 2020 2:55 pm

Nobody is windsurfing Aardvark and it’s a difficult time for all of us and we don’t need to be sworn at by you. Tone it down.

TOTD

Post by TOTD » Thu Mar 26, 2020 3:08 pm

FKPhil wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 2:55 pm
Nobody is windsurfing Aardvark and it’s a difficult time for all of us and we don’t need to be sworn at by you. Tone it down.
Their are windsurfers now, read the thread.
Swearing , nothin any of us haven’t heard before.
Nov of 2019 the New York Times released a study , it showed that people who swore were more intelligent. Gosh dang cornflakes I say.

I’m a 73 yo, with a serious underlying disease. There are not enough non swear words to describe some behavior going on.
Having experiences that occurred on 9/11, the streets are similar in a eerie atmosphere.
Ibuprofen, Irish Whiskey

BTB
Has liked: 96 times
Been liked: 31 times

Post by BTB » Thu Mar 26, 2020 3:50 pm

toto wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 12:06 pm
I'm not sure I entirely follow the logic here. I and my family are 100% complying and staying at home the entire time and have been for 2 weeks, and will continue to do so. I also get very cross when I see people mingling. I would also say I am in the vulnerable group, with asthma and a couple of bouts of pneumonia recently, so quite apart from doing the right thing for the elderly etc, I am also quite nervous personally about C19. If I get in the car and drive myself 30min to an unbusy beach, rig up, windsurf for an hour and come straight home, I can easily do this without coming any where near anyone (let alone within 2metres) at any point. I am far more likely to come in to closer contact with more people on an officially sanctioned 30min run round my local park. I absolutely get driving to the beach is "Unnecessary Travel", but so what? The "unnecessary travel" edict is purely about reducing stopping social interaction, especially between people from different geographical areas. But the scenario I describe involves zero contact. What am I missing? Apart from it being seen as not being 'the right thing' to do in time of national crises. But as the govt has said, we should all take exercise to keep our mental sanity etc, and a windsurfing session keeps me mentally going for days after, even in 'normal' life. Having said all this, there is consensus about not going windsurfing so out of respect I probably won't. I just don't quite understand though.
Agree that you would not be causing much issue. But you will never truly understand how many arseholes there are out there and the only way to convince enough people to do the right thing is for all of us to just stay in. The world is full of idiots and therefore we need to convince them to just stay inside by sacrificing things that would cause no issue as many just dont get it or wont get it.