Techno World Championships

Chat about stuff that doesn't fall into the other categories here.
Smidge
Has liked: 34 times
Been liked: 33 times

Techno World Championships

Post by Smidge » Sun Nov 03, 2019 9:37 pm

Im just back from supporting my 15 year old daughter at this awesome event in Cadiz. 350 kids from 35 countries competing for 6 days, aged about 11 to 16 - including loads of brits.

For all but the very best its more of a windsurfing festival and a massive social event. My daughter started on techno sailing just over two years ago, moving quickly from Team 15 to Zone Squad and Development Squad. She has got so much fun out of it and now plans to move on to focus more on shortboarding, wavesailing and more instructing.

If you have kids, or know any, who have mastered the very basics and dont know what to do next then encouraging them down this path is well worth doing.

Happy to answer any questions about how it all works.

Ruaraidh_K257
Has liked: 17 times
Been liked: 80 times

Re: Techno World Championships

Post by Ruaraidh_K257 » Tue Nov 05, 2019 12:31 am

Nice to hear about somebody else who used the T15/Techno system to their advantage rather than getting caught up in the very narrow-minded Olympic pathway nonsense which rubbed me the wrong way - windsurfing is a great community sport but if you want to make it big time doing the Techno/RSX thing you have to focus solely on yourself and for me seeing that took all of the fun out of the sport.
16, Scottish wavesailor, sponsored by - Neil Pryde, JP Australia, K4Fins, Wild Diamond Tiree

Smidge
Has liked: 34 times
Been liked: 33 times

Re: Techno World Championships

Post by Smidge » Tue Nov 05, 2019 10:53 am

I think thats right, the girls and guys at the elite level (national junior squad) are pushed and push themselves to the point of it not being that much fun unless you make the top 7 (hard to do when the fleet is 100s strong...) and get obsessive about the olympic pathway that only one or two get to the top of per decade (although depends on the character of the kid too and if parents let it happen ). But for the vast majority at least of the brits its just a lot of fun with their mates and huge amounts of time on the water (same is true of the UKWA race events where techno kids outnumber adults 5 to 1)

There has been a refocusing of zone squad under Sam Ross in last couple of years to be the stepping stone to whatever kids want to do in windsurfing (waves, freestyle, slalom, instructing, racing, and i guess increasingly foiling) with everyone encouraged to bring a techno board for sub 15 kts and a short board for everything else.