Learning to go DTL in cross onshore

Chat about stuff that doesn't fall into the other categories here.
DaveMac
Has liked: 32 times
Been liked: 37 times

Learning to go DTL in cross onshore

Post by DaveMac » Mon Aug 19, 2019 12:26 pm

Further to my comment that I need to go on a wave sailing clinic (and won't be) I found a good Peter Hart article online
https://www.windsurf.co.uk/peter-hart-s ... hore-ruts/
Pretty eloquently descibes my efforts yesterday. For example one lovely carve down the wave .. to no man's land, no wave to top turn on, managed to turn back and re-catch the wave. Next effort, pretty similar. This time I thought I'll keep turning, ended back winding the sail and getting slammed into the water....
So yes, I'm in a rut. Not in a position to find easier/better conditions, it's South coast usually onshore conditions for me. Seems like I should be working on gybing round to clew first and thinking about my hips and hand positions on the boom (just when gybing, not trying to go dtl). Also on strap to strap gybes (were I to try those) I reckon wearing boots is a bit of a hindrance.
Any pointers to specific resources online much appreciated, or equally personal tips. Cheers Dave

Bouke/Witchcraft
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 81 times

Re: Learning to go DTL in cross onshore

Post by Bouke/Witchcraft » Mon Aug 19, 2019 8:17 pm

DaveMac wrote:
Mon Aug 19, 2019 12:26 pm
Further to my comment that I need to go on a wave sailing clinic (and won't be) I found a good Peter Hart article online
https://www.windsurf.co.uk/peter-hart-s ... hore-ruts/
Pretty eloquently descibes my efforts yesterday. For example one lovely carve down the wave .. to no man's land, no wave to top turn on, managed to turn back and re-catch the wave. Next effort, pretty similar. This time I thought I'll keep turning, ended back winding the sail and getting slammed into the water....
Pretty good article but it does not mention the main cause for problems in the bottom turn and sailing clew first: too much loose leach. This causes either getting pulled over the front, letting go of the boom hand (and straighten out the turn) or getting back winded by pulling in the boom hand to lose power when sailing clew first. As mentioned in the current standard of sails thread. When going clew first, all the goodness that loose leach does when sailing in a straight line back fires. The CoE moves up and the force in the tip points backwards where you want to go forward. If you then can´t hold the sail anymore you end up with either of the 3 possibilities mentioned. You need some loose leach (or sail twist) for sailing along which still is 99% of the time but not too much so choosing sail size becomes critical as you need to be powered up still but you can´t crank the down haul if you are overpowered like you can for B&J types of sailing. Being able to sail clew first is essential for on shore DTL riding.
https://witchcraft.nu/. Boards, sails, masts, fins.

Arf
Site Admin
Has liked: 109 times
Been liked: 87 times

Post by Arf » Mon Aug 19, 2019 8:38 pm

I totally get where you are Dave, I often have waves exactly like that. Sometimes that’s all the south coast wave offers (nothing after turning onto it).
However, here’s my 2 pence:
Most important thing is turn turn DTL with as much speed as possible and go clew first early (or if you have tonnes of speed sometimes you don’t even need to go clew first). Try and maintain speed by trimming the sail, even if the wave has disappeared to nothing, and keep going because usually it will reform. When it does, do a not-tight-at-all bottom turn to redirect towards a oncoming breaking section, and move your back hand right up near your front hand.. this will stop the backwinding.. and then turn hard off the breaking section.
This all works well for me and I feel i can maintain DTL speed quite well now, new problem is throwing out the tail completely in the hit at the end.. which is fun when you can pull it back in but a bit crap if I can’t.

PK1111
Has liked: 167 times
Been liked: 69 times

Post by PK1111 » Mon Aug 19, 2019 8:42 pm

If you’re on a fsw or freeride board, then it’s really easy to outrun the wave.
I either stall, pivot and scoot into a turn as the wave catches you, or bear away before hand.
As Bouke says, having a tighter leech sail can help, and I find it’s easier to dump power in the initial turn.
After that, really lean forward into the turn, and break at the hips. It’s worth trying to envision this whilst on land.

Being on a wave board can make the turning easier, but it will need the power from the wave.
Good luck!

Ruaraidh_K257
Has liked: 17 times
Been liked: 80 times

Post by Ruaraidh_K257 » Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:23 pm

Arf wrote:
Mon Aug 19, 2019 8:38 pm

This all works well for me and I feel i can maintain DTL speed quite well now, new problem is throwing out the tail completely in the hit at the end.. which is fun when you can pull it back in but a bit crap if I can’t.
The moment after you move your hand forward, move it back again. Gives you tons of control over the tail slide. Could never woke it out myself until I watched Víctor Fernández, Jaeger Stone etc and realised that they all move their hand back straight after moving it forward to release the power.
16, Scottish wavesailor, sponsored by - Neil Pryde, JP Australia, K4Fins, Wild Diamond Tiree

DaveMac

Post by DaveMac » Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:21 am

Thanks folks, lots to work on there for me. Just need the wind and waves back. Couldn't go yesterday evening but so knackered from the day before it was no great loss. More tips or pointers to good resources still welcome. What a great sport where you can still want more and improve despite having been doing it forever.....

DaveMac

Post by DaveMac » Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:32 am

PK1111 wrote:
Mon Aug 19, 2019 8:42 pm
and break at the hips.
Love that expression. Stiff as a board after windsurfing though........
(I know what the expression means )
Out to the garden with a hula hoop
(Not) :D

Hazzabee
Been liked: 62 times

Post by Hazzabee » Tue Aug 20, 2019 12:26 pm

Speed, timing and a stubby all help.

Timing most of all
1) to know how to find the best set waves (wait wait wait at the bus stop, follow someone good if not sure and never take the first of the set!) then
2) when to take off to hit the best sections at the right time
Take off timing is critical as you have to factor in how long it takes to drop down, bottom turn then redirect. Top turning too early, i.e. before it has turned from swell to a wave, means most likely you fall off the back wallowing at the mercy of the next wave. Too late and it will break on top of you...£££££

Surf the boom as has been said

Go on a clinic

3 months in Canaries. Ultimately TOW day after day in optimal conditions is required.

Bouke/Witchcraft

Post by Bouke/Witchcraft » Wed Aug 21, 2019 10:06 am

Ruaraidh_K257 wrote:
Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:23 pm
Arf wrote:
Mon Aug 19, 2019 8:38 pm

The moment after you move your hand forward, move it back again. Gives you tons of control over the tail slide. Could never woke it out myself until I watched Víctor Fernández, Jaeger Stone etc and realised that they all move their hand back straight after moving it forward to release the power.
Not sure but I think they do this to sheet in and accelerate again after the turn. Move your hands back means you will sheet in and this is hardly going to stop a tail slide is it? Normally they´d move their weight forward to stop the tail slide. They know exactly what is going to happen before hand and the whole move happens in a split second.

Bouke/Witchcraft

Post by Bouke/Witchcraft » Wed Aug 21, 2019 10:15 am

Oh yes and when aiming for the lip (if not +2m), do not chicken out. Hit the lip nose first. Like this you can even simply punch through and end up behind the wave if you felt like you would other wise be going over the falls. If the wave catches you on the side it´s worse. The same for white water. Another good advice is to have someone video you. Even during the session check what you actually did when something went wrong.