How did you get good?

Chat about stuff that doesn't fall into the other categories here.
Lostboy
Has liked: 112 times
Been liked: 20 times

Re: How did you get good?

Post by Lostboy » Fri Mar 15, 2019 4:54 pm

DaveMac wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 4:07 pm
My holy grail is the duck gybe. It's not going to happen unless I get the time tuition and location.

Where do you sail? Happy to meet up and run through it with you one windy day if our relative locations work!

DaveMac
Has liked: 17 times
Been liked: 27 times

Post by DaveMac » Fri Mar 15, 2019 5:51 pm

Lostboy wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 4:54 pm
DaveMac wrote:
My holy grail is the duck gybe. It's not going to happen unless I get the time tuition and location.

Where do you sail? Happy to meet up and run through it with you one windy day if our relative locations work!
Cheers Lostboy. If you are ever heading East to H'ove .....and I'll give you a shout if I'm heading west to Hayling (which last happened in about 92!)
Reckon I would have cracked it by now if I sailed Worthing more often,(smoother, bigger gaps) but the Hove rip, particularly at Marroccos is a serious discincentive to trying things out.(Yup, that's why I've plateaued :lol: ) Getting to Worthing and back equals one hour extra drive time, plus kites :twisted:

abitwindy
Been liked: 4 times

Post by abitwindy » Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:35 pm

I think the main problem I've had is just lack of time and lack of wind when ive had time , then in turn lost enthusiasm.
However its back now and I'm keen to get out and have some fun, i won't be putting myself under pressure to progress just will make more of an effort.

Not a fan of 3.7 survival conditions so won't be this weekend !

DaveMac

Post by DaveMac » Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:24 pm

Curious as to where your local beach is? I'm always surprised some sailors avoid having big kit eg 7m sails and big boards. If you are time restricted it is a pain if the wind is just below the threshold. All my big kit is eBay. Not sexy but does the job. Still fun and keeps you motivated. Can't see the point in sitting on the beach ....

abitwindy

Post by abitwindy » Sat Mar 16, 2019 7:19 am

My local beach is eastbourne and then just down the road pevency bay and cooden.
A couple of years ago i bought a 7m cheetah and 112fire move , looking to to sell the fire move and replace with a futura or something similar as i want a little more top speed/excitement.

abitwindy

Post by abitwindy » Sat Mar 16, 2019 7:25 am

I spent years with having a 5.8 and 105l as my biggest combo , thinking that as i light thats all i need but now realise i can sail on bigger kit and really enjoy it.

maker
Been liked: 6 times

Post by maker » Sat Mar 16, 2019 9:38 am

1. Increase time on water by planning ahead - look at forecasts, arrange to go sailing and rest of life around that.
2. Get coaching if you can with clear aim e.g. improve gybe or whatever. Can be professional or time with friend who knows how to teach
3. Ask good sailors on beach what you should be doing. If you think you are doing it but not working ask them to look at you e.g. yo might think you look into turn until they tell you you don't (I do this a lot and pick up loads of tips specific to me)
4. Push yourself (I don't) - try 360s and gybes become a doddle

DaveMac

Post by DaveMac » Sat Mar 16, 2019 12:05 pm

abitwindy wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2019 7:19 am
My local beach is eastbourne and then just down the road pevency bay and cooden.
A couple of years ago i bought a 7m cheetah and 112fire move , looking to to sell the fire move and replace with a futura or something similar as i want a little more top speed/excitement.
I reckon you are in business. Good location. Sorting the work/lifestyle/childcare balance is the hardest manoevre in windsurfing.

For what it is worth you say you have been windsurfing 10 years. The good news is you can still be windsurfing to a ripe old age, you don't have to stop for a long time yet. Like perhaps a lot of the forum here I'm in my mid-fifties. I see the same faces on the beach from 20years ago. With kids I really thought I'd have to jack it in. Instead (and apologies for repeating my Camber story ) , I dropped my son off on a uni visit to Canterbury and then checked out Camber Sands....who's the teenager :lol: ).

I suspect your original question was really about improving your technique, skills development. If you are in a position to go to a clinic in the Canaries or Ireland or whatever I'm sure that would be really helpful. But talking to people on the beach and watching you tube videos is good. Good luck

abitwindy

Post by abitwindy » Sun Mar 17, 2019 8:33 pm

Hi Dave , yes it tricking trying to windsurf combined with young family and work etc.
Also when theres other sports you can set specific times for or only take an hour to get your fix its easy to let the sailing go and opt for something more convenient.

I made a turf dog some years ago and dug that out the shed in ready for some practice.

Cheers for the advice everyone

Lostboy
Has liked: 112 times
Been liked: 20 times

Post by Lostboy » Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:52 am

DaveMac wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 5:51 pm
Lostboy wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 4:54 pm
DaveMac wrote:

Cheers Lostboy. If you are ever heading East to H'ove .....and I'll give you a shout if I'm heading west to Hayling (which last happened in about 92!)
Reckon I would have cracked it by now if I sailed Worthing more often,(smoother, bigger gaps) but the Hove rip, particularly at Marroccos is a serious discincentive to trying things out.(Yup, that's why I've plateaued :lol: ) Getting to Worthing and back equals one hour extra drive time, plus kites :twisted:
We'll make this happen this spring/summer. In the meantime there are two key elements to the whole thing:

1. Speed - as always, the faster you go into the gybe the more weightless (and therefore easier to handle) the sail is.
2. Go for the duck early. And when I say early I mean when you've thought about it, you're too late. It's done as soon as you get beyond beam reach (90 deg) on the carve.

You can do the freestylers cheat if you like and set yourself on a broad reach (120ish) for a bit to give yourself a very light feeling sail the moment you start carving.

On the outside - pick a really nice bit of swell to do it down the face of - the combo of the bear away and the board speed as you go into it works beautifully. On the inside it's just speed and go early.