How did you get good?

Chat about stuff that doesn't fall into the other categories here.
abitwindy
Been liked: 4 times

How did you get good?

Post by abitwindy » Mon Mar 11, 2019 3:38 pm

Hi Judging from a lot of the posts on here most of you guys are at a very good level of sailing.
Ive been windsurfing for ten years now and still not gybing very well (inside only about 50 percent), tacks are ok on bigger boards.
In that ten years I've moved house three times, had three kids and started a business.(also kite surfed for two of those years).
This is the year for me to try and progress , the last move has landed me across the road from the beach.

So im guessing that most of you have had years of windsurfing pre children or just are super wealthy with flexible jobs? ;)

Arf
Site Admin
Has liked: 82 times
Been liked: 64 times

Re: How did you get good?

Post by Arf » Mon Mar 11, 2019 3:55 pm

I wouldn't class myself as 'good', but different people have different strengths and weaknesses I think.
I started 9 years ago, I worked from home, wife worked all day, and we had no dog. So, I could go to the beach every day it was windy, and I learnt quickly as a result (was doing roughly 100 sessions a year!)
Also, I have surfed my whole life (mostly In Cape Town till I left when I was 21) so I was already comfortable in waves.
When I was learning I also used to destroy kit like nothing else - I was very good at catapulting :lol: This stood me in good stead when I started learning loops though. They're like pain-free ultracatapults.
My gybing is still dodgy, tacks nearly always fail, but I can work around that :-)

Now we have a big puppy and business is busier, so I don't get out nearly as much, in fact around 10 times a year tops for the last 2 years, which is sickening. Need to improve fitness and learn to tack, those are my goals for this year.

TOTD
Been liked: 21 times

Post by TOTD » Mon Mar 11, 2019 4:10 pm

Never happened to me, somewhat un qualified to post. Unless a BS degree from MIT COUNTS.
It’s all about time on the water, you have to push yourself into conditions that are above, your level, that can mean a smaller board or more wind or a host of others, RedBull Storm chase is above most.

It should be about fun, foremost. On a bad day you should take away something positive.
Have a certain peacefulness with what you can do vs what you would like to do.

I’m not a rah rah rah, activist, some positive thinking will reflect in your attitude .

It all TOW, time on the water.
K4 4Boards Tri Sails,and Chocolate Chip cookies
Ibuprofen, Irish Whiskey

martinwindsurf
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 25 times

Post by martinwindsurf » Mon Mar 11, 2019 4:29 pm

Personally, I plateaued about 10 years ago.. when we had our child and I joined a start up. Don't regret either for a second but my sailing has suffered.
Plus I took up triathlon and road cycling and have loved those experiences too.

Before I was sailing 30x times a year plus a holiday or two. Back then my big improvements came from going on holiday courses -Club Vass etc got me into harness, footstraps, carving etc.

Wave experience has been self-taught over last decade and a lot slower, plus I only sail 10 or 12 times a year. As said, it's all about time on water so that you are totally at ease with conditions and your kit and ready to improve, rather than just being happy to be out!

My guess is the better sailors live close to the coast, with flexible jobs such as tradesmen (just popping to B&Q to get a part etc ;)) and single or child-free. If you're inland, with kids and a 9-6 job, good luck!!

Hazzabee
Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 29 times

Post by Hazzabee » Mon Mar 11, 2019 5:19 pm

Watching clips of the RBSC pros sadly reaffirms that I am sooo far away from being "good" :(

But if the question is rephrased as "what helped you get to the level at which you are now?", then

1) Spending a large chunk of my formative sailing years abroad, including 3 months in each of Minorca, Jeri and Maui

2) Living near the coast

3) Sailing with friends better than me who, if they didn't observe me moving off certain technique plateaus, were willing to implant hard objects up my rectum, such as mast extensions or blue helmets :o

If sadistic friends are not available then a tuition week with a pro is a great alternative. I would recommend strongly John Skye, though sadly he appears to have withdrawn himself from the guru scene.

abitwindy

Post by abitwindy » Mon Mar 11, 2019 5:25 pm

Now we have a big puppy and business is busier, so I don't get out nearly as much, in fact around 10 times a year tops for the last 2 years, which is sickening. Need to improve fitness and learn to tack, those are my goals for this year.
[/quote]

The last couple of years have been the same for me with hardly any sessions, and then it was always a question of whether to wait around for wind or do another type of exercise to get a quick fix and keep the family happy!

wully
Has liked: 42 times
Been liked: 36 times

Post by wully » Mon Mar 11, 2019 5:31 pm

I'll tell you when I get there.

abitwindy

Post by abitwindy » Mon Mar 11, 2019 5:31 pm

Hazzabee wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2019 5:19 pm
Watching clips of the RBSC pros sadly reaffirms that I am sooo far away from being "good" :(

But if the question is rephrased as "what helped you get to the level at which you are now?", then

1) Spending a large chunk of my formative sailing years abroad, including 3 months in each of Minorca, Jeri and Maui

2) Living near the coast

3) Sailing with friends better than me who, if they didn't observe me moving off certain technique plateaus, were willing to implant hard objects up my rectum, such as mast extensions or blue helmets :o

If sadistic friends are not available then a tuition week with a pro is a great alternative. I would recommend strongly John Skye, though sadly he appears to have withdrawn himself from the guru scene.

I did a day with Simon bornhoff a couple of years ago and that was a massive game changer , i starting to plan out of gybes.. :D

Im sure some of my fellow windsurfers would pic option three to help !

northy
Been liked: 6 times

Post by northy » Mon Mar 11, 2019 6:00 pm

Tow...All the good guys sail a lot - often via a combination of job/lifestyle that enables that.
And crucially they all have / do sail abroad a fair amount to maximize ToW and good conditions condusive with level / experience.

PK1111
Has liked: 114 times
Been liked: 41 times

Post by PK1111 » Mon Mar 11, 2019 7:17 pm

Top tip: go to an optimal venue for learning!

Most uk locations are choppy, gusty, cold, grey and uninspiring, immediately pushing you into a survival mode approach, with most sailors focussing on not falling in.
If thats what you get, then sure, get out there, deal with it, and have the most fun you can get.

But if you really want to progress, then approach it in a different way. Go to locations that will actively support your learning.
Smooth water, steady wind,warm air and water, and sunshine massively help!

Then focus on learning rather than sailing. Read up, practice in your mind, and on land, then go for it in short sharp bursts. Don’t grooveride!
Warm up, stretch, be fit, and approach with a spirit of fun.

Hell, I’m starting to sound like Jem Hall, so I’ll leave it there!