Red Bull Stormchase

Chat about stuff that doesn't fall into the other categories here.
Ruaraidh_K257
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 24 times

Re: Red Bull Stormchase

Post by Ruaraidh_K257 » Mon Mar 11, 2019 12:50 pm

Yesterday was pretty big but perfectly sailable for me on a 3.3, but Tuesday looks insane. Was awesome to meet the pros on the warm up day and watch them sail yesterday, but I’m glad I’m headed home now as Tuesday would be horrible.

Unfortunately it somewhat ruins the images of the storm chase if you have some amateurs out sailing amongst the storm chasers, so I wasn’t allowed out to sail with them, and hadn’t to wait time they’d finished the comp to get out!

Again, Tuesday is going to be bloody massive. Koster sailed best all round but there was a lot of variety in the conditions they held the first day of competition in and I think Koster, stone and Leon were very lucky with the conditions they got... Ricardo Campello is an insane jumper but he barely got any ramps to play with. Also it was interesting to see how quickly the riders got the spot dialled; Koster got it pretty quickly but Leon and Stone worked out the wave the best. Leon especially sailed especially well, as he is used to the cold I think he could function a bit better! He and Stone had the timing of the wave absolutely perfect, which is no mean feat as it’s quite a tricky break to read. Dany Bruch for example, who is an amazing wave rider, timed a few of his bottom turns wrong and ended up trying to smack a mast high lump of white water rather than being able to throw his fins out in the open face, and ended up crashing most of his turns as a result of not getting the timings quite right. All of the sailors are at a pretty similar level so it was really interesting to see how it went, and how the conditions favoured different sailors.

wully
Has liked: 38 times
Been liked: 30 times

Post by wully » Mon Mar 11, 2019 5:35 pm

Ruaraidh_K257 wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2019 12:50 pm
Unfortunately it somewhat ruins the images of the storm chase if you have some amateurs out sailing amongst the storm chasers, so I wasn’t allowed out to sail with them, and hadn’t to wait time they’d finished the comp to get out!
You could have sailed downwind a bit in the " bay of certain death" ....?

Ruaraidh_K257
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 24 times

Post by Ruaraidh_K257 » Mon Mar 11, 2019 5:45 pm

Strictly speaking I could have sailed anywhere, there were no official laws against you sailing, but Timo had asked nicely if I could avoid sailing at all when they were out and I didn’t want to step on any toes 😉 unlike Brendan, who when told he wasn’t allowed down to the rigging spot, said “that’s great” and drove straight past the bewildered young red bull intern into the rigging spot

wully
Has liked: 38 times
Been liked: 30 times

Post by wully » Mon Mar 11, 2019 8:12 pm

Ha!

Hazzabee
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 14 times

Post by Hazzabee » Tue Mar 12, 2019 7:33 am

Very nice that my morning dose of Brexit was interrupted by the lovely Sally Nugent gasping with excitement over those extreme windsurfers in Ireland at the end of her sports bulletin on BBC Breakfast today. Should be repeated at 7.35 and 8.35am

BTB
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 7 times

Post by BTB » Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:36 am

Day 1 vid.

Hazzabee

Post by Hazzabee » Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:56 am

ronnie
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 11 times

Post by ronnie » Tue Mar 12, 2019 11:26 am

A picture of Magheroarty. There is a windsurfer beyond the pier and his van is at the rigging area. The reef is to the left of the pier. You will have to save it to magnify it.
Magheroarty.jpg
Magheroarty.jpg (763.18 KiB) Viewed 91 times
Mikey Clancy sailing Magheroarty on a good day. Despite the bikinis, this was filmed in the Winter!

Surf forecast for Pollan Bay, which is near Malin Head, but maybe 50 miles East of Magheroarty.
https://magicseaweed.com/Pollan-Bay-Surf-Report/1498/
Biggest conditions are later today and early tomorrow.

Hazzabee

Post by Hazzabee » Tue Mar 12, 2019 4:25 pm

Not sure how to link to it but today's video story sequence on the facebook page is well worth a watch.
Looks insane.
50kts+, 3.0s yet they are still busting out all the moves.
The helicopter shots are amazing. Can't wait for the video.

Lostboy
Has liked: 97 times
Been liked: 17 times

Post by Lostboy » Tue Mar 12, 2019 5:41 pm

Ricardo Campello's double push loop attempt :shock: