Red Bull Stormchase

Chat about stuff that doesn't fall into the other categories here.
Distinctly Average
Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 9 times

Re: Red Bull Stormchase

Post by Distinctly Average » Tue Mar 12, 2019 11:01 pm

A friend of mine lives nearby and has taken some stunning pictures of the conditions. Even his pics give me the willies, I cannot imagine what it is going to be like sailing.

billyboy
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 18 times

Post by billyboy » Wed Mar 13, 2019 12:00 pm

Some amazing footage, but much like the last storm chase I can't help but think it would be even more amazing if it was just normal 3.7m or even 4m weather in the same waves (and 10C+). Once those guys have a bit of control they can really go nuts! That's not going to get the same media coverage of course, but it would be better quality windsurfing!

ronnie
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 22 times

Post by ronnie » Wed Mar 13, 2019 12:37 pm

Day 1

Day 2

ronnie

Post by ronnie » Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:33 am

Day 1 Newsreel

Day 2 Newsreel. They began at the reef, but as the wind changed direction and the waves got bigger, they moved into the bay.
https://www.continentseven.com/jaeger-s ... hase-2019/

Hazzabee
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 20 times

Post by Hazzabee » Thu Mar 14, 2019 12:04 pm

Astonishing. This deserves a wider audience. I hope Red Bull are PR-ing the sh*t out of it to mainstream media channels.

TOTD
Been liked: 17 times

Post by TOTD » Thu Mar 14, 2019 2:15 pm

I scoured the internet and can’t find the placing except the top 4...?
K4 4Boards Tri Sails,and Chocolate Chip cookies
Ibuprofen, Irish Whiskey

Lostboy
Has liked: 110 times

Post by Lostboy » Thu Mar 14, 2019 2:32 pm

billyboy wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 12:00 pm
Some amazing footage, but much like the last storm chase I can't help but think it would be even more amazing if it was just normal 3.7m or even 4m weather in the same waves (and 10C+). Once those guys have a bit of control they can really go nuts! That's not going to get the same media coverage of course, but it would be better quality windsurfing!
Not interested in that at all - that's what the PWA Tour is about. This is all about extreme and what both Storm Chases have proven is what can be sailed in if you're good enough. There is no doubt that the talent shines through when the going gets completely and utterly mental*

*I'm disappointed that Brawzinho didn't come to this one because he and TT were the outstanding sailors from the first iteration. Interesting to see the best wave rider in the world (IMHO) come out on top of this one despite the nuclear conditions.

ronnie

Post by ronnie » Thu Mar 14, 2019 5:14 pm

It was good to see Koster at the Magheroarty event - he has the best jumping talent, and it was good to see wave riders like Thomas Traversa and Jaeger Stone winning these extreme events.

It may be possible to find locations that are even more suitable for the Storm Chase, but they may not be quite so convenient to organise. There are offshore reefs, which might hold bigger waves, and maybe cleaner wind (though at 60 to 80 knots it usually is gusty). It might be easier to rescue, as there may be deep water around the waves, so the waves smooth out quickly.
Filming could be more difficult, unless there is land in suitable positions.

This is Ricardo Campello at Magheroarty and you can see that the waves are much bigger at Inishbofen Island a couple of miles away.
Image from windsurf.co.uk

BTB
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 9 times

Post by BTB » Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:56 am

Loving this pic of Robbie Swift. This is what Storm chase is all about for me. Big, cold, dark, angry looking waves.

The windsurf mag photo gallery is well worth looking through.

https://www.windsurf.co.uk/red-bull-sto ... t-gallery/

billyboy
Has liked: 2 times

Post by billyboy » Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:46 am

Lostboy wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 2:32 pm
billyboy wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 12:00 pm
Not interested in that at all - that's what the PWA Tour is about. This is all about extreme and what both Storm Chases have proven is what can be sailed in if you're good enough. There is no doubt that the talent shines through when the going gets completely and utterly mental*

*I'm disappointed that Brawzinho didn't come to this one because he and TT were the outstanding sailors from the first iteration. Interesting to see the best wave rider in the world (IMHO) come out on top of this one despite the nuclear conditions.
Um, yes a good point - except the PWA tour is currently about small port tack onshore wind wave riding and jumping so we don't ever get to see these guys sailing together in the best conditions. e.g. imagine what jumps and aerials we would see if it was sideshore, long period, mast high+ and 35knts and all these guys were together pushing each other. We never see that...