Covid vaccine

Chat about stuff that doesn't fall into the other categories here.
PhilN
Has liked: 33 times
Been liked: 63 times

Re: Covid vaccine

Post by PhilN »

Hazzabee wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 9:23 am MHRA update
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2021/0 ... strazeneca
British regulators on Thursday said they have identified 30 cases of rare blood clot events after the use of the AstraZeneca Covid-19 vaccine, 25 more than the agency previously reported.

The Medicines and Healthcare products Regulatory Agency said it had received no such reports of clotting events following use of the vaccine made by BioNTech and Pfizer.

The health officials said they still believe the benefits of the vaccine in the prevention of Covid-19 far outweigh any possible risk of blood clots.

Some countries are restricting use of the AstraZeneca vaccine while others have resumed inoculations, as investigations into reports of rare, and sometimes severe, blood clots continue.

On March 18, the UK medicines regulator said that there had been five cases of a rare brain blood clot among 11 million administered shots.

On Thursday, it put the count at 22 reports of cerebral venous sinus thrombosis, an extremely rare brain clotting ailment, and 8 reports of other clotting events associated with low blood platelets out of a total of 18.1 million doses given.
Interesting.

It seems a bit odd them saying "out of a total of 18.1 million doses given" (we are around 36m doses today) but I guess they are reporting number of doses by the date of investigating the 22 reports. It might take a while to accurately diagnose.

The number of occurrence's went from 5 in 11m on March 18th, to 22 per 18.1m on April 1st. Is the rate increase because younger people are being jabbed.

No mention of age groups, or even sex, or any details really. Its a bit frustrating the lack of detail (unless the detail is given in the text following if you subscribe).
PhilN

Post by PhilN »

Is this where the media get their info from.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... -reactions

After having the jab, 3 people reported their eyelashes growing :?
Hazzabee
Has liked: 141 times
Been liked: 167 times

Post by Hazzabee »

From the horse's mouth
https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... -reactions
Screenshot_2021-04-02-10-55-14.png
No further details.
PhilN

Post by PhilN »

The media have latched on to the blood clot issue, but what about other issues? I guess the blood clot issue grabbed their attention and once its a 'thing' it gets reported on. To my mind, its very rare and after the jab is still very rare, more rare then CV19 hospitalisation for my age group & sex etc.

I had a quick scan through the AZ reaction list (which might just be coincidence they occurred after having the jab). Some people reported their breathing rate increased (could be nervous or anxiety related to having any jab) whilst others noticed theirs decreased (could be relief about finally having the jab).
FKPhil
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 57 times

Post by FKPhil »

Distinctly Average
Has liked: 90 times
Been liked: 59 times

Post by Distinctly Average »

PhilN wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 10:21 am The media have latched on to the blood clot issue, but what about other issues? I guess the blood clot issue grabbed their attention and once its a 'thing' it gets reported on. To my mind, its very rare and after the jab is still very rare, more rare then CV19 hospitalisation for my age group & sex etc.

I had a quick scan through the AZ reaction list (which might just be coincidence they occurred after having the jab). Some people reported their breathing rate increased (could be nervous or anxiety related to having any jab) whilst others noticed theirs decreased (could be relief about finally having the jab).
Interesting too that many of these cases are in those with low platelet counts already. As a platelet donor it is my understanding that this is more common in younger females than the rest of the population. Still very rare and from what I have read is treatable with not too much hassle although sadly there have been some deaths. Much less hassle than the types of clotting Covid can cause and the numbers very much lower than those of covid. You know that already so not really talking to you there. There also seem to be some in those numbers who are already on thinning medication and who have poorly monitored INR.

At one of the local vaccine centres where some friends and family are currently working the receptionist on one of the shifts refuses to have the vaccine and is vehemently against all vaccines. You couldn’t make it up.
Last edited by Distinctly Average on Sat Apr 03, 2021 3:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
TwoFish
Has liked: 261 times
Been liked: 136 times

Post by TwoFish »

Distinctly Average wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 5:24 pm the receptionist on one of the shifts refuses to have the vaccine and is vehemently against all vaccines.

Maybe she's just determined to be an award winner?

Darwin.jpg
Darwin.jpg (20.46 KiB) Viewed 129 times