Covid vaccine

Chat about stuff that doesn't fall into the other categories here.
PhilN
Has liked: 33 times
Been liked: 63 times

Re: Covid vaccine

Post by PhilN »

I was just reading that on the BBC. Looks like they decided to investigate it a bit more than other websites who just reported Germany and Canada's change in stance.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-56594189

It links to this https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/ful ... /jth.14210 which gives some research from 2018 on the annual occurrence of CVST.
Various studies 2 to 5 per million, to 13.2 to 15.7 per million in recent studies in the Netherlands and Southern Australia.

Germany's recent cases were 31 in 2.7 million, 11.5 per million, but in a much shorter timespan rather than a year.
Distinctly Average
Has liked: 90 times
Been liked: 59 times

Post by Distinctly Average »

James.blonde wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 6:42 am BBC have now put a storey on its main news page regarding this issue. So it would appear that's its not just mumbo jumbo I was making up, that some blinkered people would have you believe. Keep your eyes open to get a balanced argument
I don’t think any of us here are being blinkered. We are just all discussing the availability information. The truth is, nobody knows the mechanisms behind any of it. There also seems to be more reporting on the AZ vaccine than other vaccines despite similar figures. Until more research is done we will not know. However, 11.5 cases per million is a very low number, and as long as clotting is looked for it is easy to treat, when we are looking at a disease killing millions then vaccinations seems a far better option. It is also becoming clear that vaccinations in the UK and Israel, where large numbers of the population have been vaccinated, that the death rate as well as the hospitalisation rate have dropped massively. That can only be a good thing.

Looking to the future we have articles such as this - https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-56608632 . In my mind I really don’t see the hardship of scanning a QR code as you enter a pub. People are up in arms about it. Who cares if it gets the pubs back to pulling pints. You walk into a pub , scan the code one and get some drinking arm exercise.

Where things may get difficult in the future are vaccine passports. There will be restrictions that those who do not get vaccinated will face. Some employers are already talking about not allowing people to work in certain cases. Anti-Vaxers like Ian Brown will probably not be able to play live in the UK for a very long time. I can see many venues not allowing people to buy tickets without showing their vaccine status. Will this be discriminatory as far as the law is concerned? Will it create another divide in the population? Interesting times ahead me thinks.
James.blonde
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 42 times

Post by James.blonde »

Maybe have a read of BTB post.
I said it was from Reuters and it was a fact.
To make an educated opinion you have to have all sides of the storey and all the information. He was insinuating that it was internet bull.

When all you hear is its safe, get the jab, its fine and safe. Its not 100% true. There's a risk and its up to each to evaluate it.
There's a fear factor that's been installed that if you get it its going to be worst case. The stats don't show this for the remaining population now that have not had the vacine. Risk of being hospitalised are very low, if you do get ill they have much better treatment plans.
As for us trying to stop mutations, yes this may work. There are already in excess of 1000 strains. The problem is when we open the airports and other nations come in and it all starts over with new variations and yet another vacine program.
It was all meant to be about protecting the elderly and the NHS. This has now been achieved but we are still persevering with jabbing the whole country.
There is still more people dying from cancer than the virus and that will massively increase because of the virus because the NHS couldn't treat anyone in the past year.
As for jabbing kids that are at super low risk and low risk of spreading I think is wrong. Then I see the headline, should your dog have a a vacine. That is crazy shit.
Last edited by James.blonde on Thu Apr 01, 2021 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TwoFish
Has liked: 261 times
Been liked: 136 times

Post by TwoFish »

Distinctly Average wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 7:42 pm Where things may get difficult in the future are vaccine passports. There will be restrictions that those who do not get vaccinated will face. Some employers are already talking about not allowing people to work in certain cases. Anti-Vaxers like Ian Brown will probably not be able to play live in the UK for a very long time. I can see many venues not allowing people to buy tickets without showing their vaccine status.
Hmm. I'm certainly no anti-vaxxer. Getting the vaccine was a no-brainer and I'm very grateful to have received it (thank you NHS). Even if it wasn't personally a no-brainer, I would have still felt compelled because of the importance of building herd immunity. I'm damned if I'm going to be 'presenting my papers' to any little Hitler who feels they can demand that though. I recognise that it may be unavoidable where (for example) travel to other nation states is involved. However within the UK, at the very least I will avoid businesses that behave like that and the Quislings who allow that sort of culture to develop.

So yep, damned right it will be divisive, if it's allowed to happen.
Distinctly Average

A number of countries have already stated they will allow only vaccinated travellers entry. I wonder how that will affect airport workers in the UK who work airside? Will rules in other countries force them to be vaccinated too? There are some odd rules for airside staff.

Back home, I wonder if the devolved nations will end up with different rules regarding vaccine passports. Northern Ireland springs to mind especially if the Republic go that route.

How about the military? Will they insist on troops (do we have many left?) being vaccinated? I reckon they will need to be prepared should they need to be deployed.

I can also see certain festivals, sports venues, theatres insisting on it. A few large employers are also discussing whether to make it a contractual requirement for new employees.

There will be plenty of uniformed officious muppets looking down their Rotzbremse at the rest of us, clipboard in hand.

I can see a lot of discord coming in the next year or two. At least the pubs will be serving so we can discuss it in the normal way after six pints.
Distinctly Average

James.blonde wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 9:23 pm
It was all meant to be about protecting the elderly and the NHS. This has now been achieved but we are still persevering with jabbing the whole country.
There is still more people dying from cancer than the virus and that will massively increase because of the virus because the NHS couldn't treat anyone in the past year.
As for jabbing kids that are at super low risk and low risk of spreading I think is wrong. Then I see the headline, should your dog have a a vacine. That is crazy shit.
When you see how many NHS staff are on the verge of collapse you will see most want everyone vaccinated. They do not want to have to go through what they have been struggling with again. So yes, the program needs to continue. The NHS is still at risk, especially if a third wave hits the younger population who have yet to be vaccinated.

As for pampered pooches, have you seen how some people treat their pets! When people spend thousands on diamond studded collars or even push their mutt around in a buggy, spending a grand on a doggy vaccine seems like a bargain.
James.blonde
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 42 times

Post by James.blonde »

Don't get me wrong, i know that hospitals are under the cosh. That is definitely not my point. I believe that has passed. By even the govs own admission, 99% of serious and fatal at risk groups have been vaccinated now, thats hugely different.
PhilN

Post by PhilN »

Distinctly Average wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 7:42 pm In my mind I really don’t see the hardship of scanning a QR code as you enter a pub. People are up in arms about it. Who cares if it gets the pubs back to pulling pints. You walk into a pub , scan the code one and get some drinking arm exercise.
Scan, what with? This?
Nokia 1280.jpg
I would have to leave my name and contact number. This happened before, the restaurant gave me a pen touched by everyone previously if I didn't sanitise it first. Pubs dont want to be responsible for collecting data, its open for misuse, entering all the details on a central database didnt work (if we had one). The trace system has been reviewed and found wanting, its money down the drain. It is a bad system implemented in desperation.
PhilN

Post by PhilN »

James.blonde wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 9:23 pm Maybe have a read of BTB post.
I said it was from Reuters and it was a fact.
To make an educated opinion you have to have all sides of the storey and all the information. He was insinuating that it was internet bull.
My tip for posting on forums is if you disagree with what someone said is use the quote button or name them in your post. Dont just say 'some people', as other people who have also responded might think you are referring to them.

I would say we didnt protect the NHS. How many NHS workers have died? Is it 1000 yet. They had to transport sick patients around hospitals as some were full. Bournemouth received patients from London and then were talking about new patients going to Exeter when Bournemouth was reaching capacity. I dont know if that happened in the end. Easing restrictions caused a spike worse than the 1st wave and was a massive mistake.
With the insult of a 1% payrise how many will leave, feeling burnt out and under valued.

The vaccine is working. Compare the UK to European countries.

There does seem to be an as yet unproven link between the AZ vaccine and younger women and maybe the government should be pointing this out, in the same way I would imagine doctors go through the risks of taking some oral birth control pills. Younger people can die from CV19, the BBC article said 300 in a million who catch the virus. But they might have other existing health conditions.

Maybe the government will change their tune when the rollout reaches the under 40s. So far we are still doing the over 50s I think.
Hazzabee
Has liked: 141 times
Been liked: 167 times

Post by Hazzabee »

MHRA update
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2021/0 ... strazeneca
British regulators on Thursday said they have identified 30 cases of rare blood clot events after the use of the AstraZeneca Covid-19 vaccine, 25 more than the agency previously reported.

The Medicines and Healthcare products Regulatory Agency said it had received no such reports of clotting events following use of the vaccine made by BioNTech and Pfizer.

The health officials said they still believe the benefits of the vaccine in the prevention of Covid-19 far outweigh any possible risk of blood clots.

Some countries are restricting use of the AstraZeneca vaccine while others have resumed inoculations, as investigations into reports of rare, and sometimes severe, blood clots continue.

On March 18, the UK medicines regulator said that there had been five cases of a rare brain blood clot among 11 million administered shots.

On Thursday, it put the count at 22 reports of cerebral venous sinus thrombosis, an extremely rare brain clotting ailment, and 8 reports of other clotting events associated with low blood platelets out of a total of 18.1 million doses given.