Covid vaccine

Chat about stuff that doesn't fall into the other categories here.
BTB
Has liked: 155 times
Been liked: 52 times

Re: Covid vaccine

Post by BTB »

Its not yet clear what the impact of the vaccine will have on Covid on a global scale. But many years ago, before the internet and misinformation / BS was able to spread at lightning speed, there was Polio. A nasty horrible virus with no cure once infected. A vaccine was created and the disease beaten back to practical extinction through a global effort that no one questioned. Covid could go the same way but ill-informed views look like they will get in the way.

By all means inhale steam every day if you want. But the reality is there are two ways that you will develop immunity. 1 is get the disease and take your chance on the outcome, the other is take 2 injections and have a 99% chance of immunity.
Distinctly Average
Has liked: 90 times
Been liked: 59 times

Post by Distinctly Average »

James.blonde wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 10:34 pm Once the uk has had its jabs we then have to wait for the world to catch up. It won't before the virus outruns it and makes it useless. Do we then go back into full lockdown and wait for another vaccine to arrive and play catchup with it again?
Until the virus makes a mistake and changes itself into a poorer version of itself we won't win.
There are 4000 coronavirus variations around the world (itv)
It is survival of the fittest, too many people in the world. Nature is cruel and we are animals at the end of it.
Yes, there are too many people in the world. Does that mean we should sit back and do nothing?

Almost all viruses mutate many times, flu is a prime example of this. For a virus it too is a case of survival of the fittest. So in almost all cases, a virus will become more virulent but less likely to kill its host. For a virus that is a poor strategy as it will kill itself off once it has run out of hosts. Ebola was like that and considered a dumb virus. Covid seems to mutate very quickly and we do not yet know if it is becoming less likely to kill, yet. That could very well be the case, hopefully so. In the mean time we must do the best we can to protect ourselves, and those less able to survive the effects. I firmly believe we all have a duty to other take the vaccine, or permanently isolate until the rest of the population has. Otherwise we, or at least those that say no to a vaccine, are deliberately putting others at risk. Would you say the same if someone who for example had AIDS and continued to have unprotected sex and not even inform their partners? That is illegal, and rightly so. What makes this virus any different?
ronnie
Has liked: 109 times
Been liked: 116 times

Post by ronnie »

Covid-19 doesn't have a brain - it arguably isn't even alive. It exists because it gets reproduced about 10,000 times by a human cell that it can attach to. Some of those 10,000 copies will not be perfect copies and that is how mutations come about. It is all a matter of percentages.

So it is possible to get rid of viruses if you can reduce the numbers infected enough.
Some viruses eliminate themselves by killing off their hosts too quickly.
Some disappear and then re-appear years later - having survived through infecting some other species.
https://www.bbc.com/future/article/2020 ... go-extinct
James.blonde
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 42 times

Post by James.blonde »

How long do we stay locked up for? Looks like at least another 3 months if covid doesn't change too much.
What limit is reasonable? Another 6 months maybe another year?
Thats along time in anyones world let alone people of a certain age.
Polio didn't mutate so was easier to limit. This one changes like the wind, regularly and all over the world.
I'm raising the question of are the vaccines proving to be workable?
Distinctly Average

ronnie wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 1:14 pm Covid-19 doesn't have a brain - it arguably isn't even alive. It exists because it gets reproduced about 10,000 times by a human cell that it can attach to. Some of those 10,000 copies will not be perfect copies and that is how mutations come about. It is all a matter of percentages.

So it is possible to get rid of viruses if you can reduce the numbers infected enough.
Some viruses eliminate themselves by killing off their hosts too quickly.
Some disappear and then re-appear years later - having survived through infecting some other species.
https://www.bbc.com/future/article/2020 ... go-extinct
Dumb and intelligent virus are terms virologists use regularly when comparing different strains.
Distinctly Average

James.blonde wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 1:39 pm How long do we stay locked up for? Looks like at least another 3 months if covid doesn't change too much.
Polio didn't mutate so was easier to limit. This one changes like the wind, regularly and all over the world.
The length of time matters if we want the next generation to be able live a normal life. I understand those at or nearing the end of their time are not having a good time at the moment, it is not easy being locked down for any of us. Numbers are dropping and the current vaccines are having a measurable effect. Let’s hope that things will be lifted to some extent soon.
ronnie
Has liked: 109 times
Been liked: 116 times

Post by ronnie »

James.blonde wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 1:39 pm How long do we stay locked up for? Looks like at least another 3 months if covid doesn't change too much.
Taiwan have had COVID-19 under control for a year, but they still get cases coming in from abroad. Some other Countries are in a similar position.
https://www.worldometers.info/coronavir ... ry/taiwan/
They didn't have a lock-down, just a test, trace and isolate system that worked. Their economy grew in 2020.

Currently it looks like vaccines will probably be able to reduce serious illness and death by a lot, and probably reduce transmission. So it might become more like Flu, but it is too early to say.
The Jaansen vaccine is a single shot system, so that would help in getting it out faster around the World. Other vaccines have different characteristics, which will provide options to tailor the ways populations and age groups are vaccinated.
https://www.clinicaltrialsarena.com/com ... rotection/
The good news is that there are several different vaccines that work reasonably well and they are also improving treatments in hospital.
It may take a while, but potential for getting back to something like normal seems reasonable,
James.blonde
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 42 times

Post by James.blonde »

I would agree numbers are dropping but this is clearly down to lockdown rather than vaccine roll out.
As for more like flu, it is a flu, just more deadly and easier to pass on. Like flu I don't think you can rid the world of it. This is here to stay.
Distinctly Average

James.blonde wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 6:20 pm I would agree numbers are dropping but this is clearly down to lockdown rather than vaccine roll out.
As for more like flu, it is a flu, just more deadly and easier to pass on. Like flu I don't think you can rid the world of it. This is here to stay.
Flu vaccines have been proven to have saved millions of lives worldwide.
K-215
Been liked: 11 times

Post by K-215 »

ronnie wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 2:14 pm
Taiwan have had COVID-19 under control for a year, but they still get cases coming in from abroad. Some other Countries are in a similar position.
https://www.worldometers.info/coronavir ... ry/taiwan/
They didn't have a lock-down, just a test, trace and isolate system that worked. Their economy grew in 2020.

Currently it looks like vaccines will probably be able to reduce serious illness and death by a lot, and probably reduce transmission. So it might become more like Flu, but it is too early to say.
The Jaansen vaccine is a single shot system, so that would help in getting it out faster around the World. Other vaccines have different characteristics, which will provide options to tailor the ways populations and age groups are vaccinated.
https://www.clinicaltrialsarena.com/com ... rotection/
The good news is that there are several different vaccines that work reasonably well and they are also improving treatments in hospital.
It may take a while, but potential for getting back to something like normal seems reasonable,
The Far East countries (+Oz/NZ) were streets ahead of the rest.
Sad that we are'nt really an island nation!
Taiwan was indeed the stand out winner in this respect...As Arthur Yang (from Taiwan but living in UK) said in yesterdays DT "We are more used to dealing with pandemics in Asia".
My South African mate who lives and works in Taiwan said, "we are living happily in Taiwan, no Covid and we can work as usual. The wind has been fantatstic and I am back windsurfing! I've sailed a 3.7 and 76 ltr board the last 4 weekends. The surf at my local beach is mast high so it's challenging to say the least".
Penghu is one of the windiest places on the planet during our winter....
I can thoroughly recommend it to anybody who has not been....one day in the not too distant future (obviously armed with a vaccination cert!), who knows ? Maybe we will meet there ? ;)